Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can You Attribbute A VAM To Each Of These Morgans?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
461 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2008  10:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got my first Morgan dollars! I wasn't able to get the lighting right, so the coins are looking gray, but I tried to get as much surface detail as possible. Could someone attribute a VAM variety to each of these Morgans?

1879S

1900P

Thank you
Edited by gawd0wns
09/30/2008 10:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2008  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1900 appears to have the III2 obverse with C4/C3c reverse, doubled olive. I'd like to see close ups of denticles under date and the olive leaf cluster showing the olive if you can. The 1879S is going to be much tougher. Can you describe any doubling you see on the coin? Date, mintmark, stars, lettering or any oddities that stand out on the coin.
Valued Member
Canada
461 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2008  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been trying to scan the coins at a higher resolution without success... I am expecting a (cheap) microscope to arrive in a few days, and will post new pics then.

Thank you
Valued Member
Canada
461 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got the microscope, these pictures took a while to take:

1879 date (The "8" and "7" look strange)

I wasn't able to find any doubling, and since I am not very familiar with morgans, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

"S" mintmark (looks like I have the small one)

1900 denticles below date:

Olive on branch

Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since you notice no doubling and nothing in the pictures jumps out at me, I believe this is 1879S with reverse of 79. High slanted top arrow feather. The reverse of 78 has a narrow top feather that runs parallel with the other feathers. Both reverses were used in 1879. The 8 has a die chip between the loops on left side. The top of 8 and 7 appear to have taken a hit which distorts the inner loop of 8 and upper serif of 7. In 1879 only the first two digits were hubbed into the die., 7 and 9 were hand punched. This can be noticed by the irregular height and distance from the first two digits. VAM 1.

Close up of 1900 are great. Near slanted date, two berry reverse. VAM 14.
Valued Member
Canada
461 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hand punched?!

Thanks for the info!
Edited by gawd0wns
10/02/2008 10:43 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05