Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884-O Morgan

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  6:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my first Morgan, I tried to take the best pics for it as much as I could. Please may anyone VAM it for me?

Thanks
Edited by EgCollector
10/03/2008 07:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eg, get one of the moderators to move this over to the gradeing section. I'm not much on gradeing coins. Never cared what they looked like, just had to have them. Larger pictures and I might be able to VAM it for you, but grade, aaw shucks, I don't know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2845 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2008  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eg, I was just checking out this evening 12 1884-0 morgans. I am happy to say that 9 of them are vams. sounds wild, but true. if you are into vams that year( like most other years are some great vams.)I am so interested in this area it is all to time consuming, but very enjoying to find just one VAM.If your pictures were more defined I am sure some of the expertise 2this site could assist you , best of luck, MORGANS DAD.
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2008  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Eg, get one of the moderators to move this over to the gradeing section.

I changed the question from grade to VAM, so there will be no need to move the thread to another section.

Quote:
Larger pictures and I might be able to VAM it for you

Thanks MorgansRmine, I will try to take better pics tonight
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2008  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Eg, I was just checking out this evening 12 1884-0 morgans. I am happy to say that 9 of them are vams. sounds wild, but true. if you are into vams that year( like most other years are some great vams.)I am so interested in this area it is all to time consuming, but very enjoying to find just one VAM.If your pictures were more defined I am sure some of the expertise 2this site could assist you , best of luck,

Thanks MORGANS DAD, I will post new pics ASAP and hope you may help me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2761 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2008  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am happy to say that 9 of them are vams

I word of caution to those taking the " VAM plunge" ... all Morgan and Peace dollars are VAMs. The vast majority have no added value, but a few bring modest to astronomical premiums. A VAM number is assigned to designate the obverse and reverse die marriage for a set of coins minted from the same pair of dies. Sub-numbers (3, 3A, 3A1, etc) usually designate noticeable changes to the die pair (clashes and breaks). Check out the listings on VAMWorld for more detailed info.
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2008  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the new pics...Hope these are good enough
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2008  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2008  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2008  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eg, Much better on the pictures. I've narrowed this down to 3 Vams. Now I need your help. (1) Is there any sign of doubling on the bottom of the 2 lower arrow heads? (2) On the inside of the mintmark, is there a vertical bar, and if so, which side. The New Orleans mint is well know for its weak strikes on Morgan dollars. Coin looks relatively free of hits and dings. Still shows plenty of luster. I wouldn't be surprised if this coin came in as a high AU or even MS. I'D still try and get pictures in the gradeing section. There are some fellas on the forum that can grade a lot better than me.
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2008  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(1) Is there any sign of doubling on the bottom of the 2 lower arrow heads?

I am no expert, but I can see a faint line beneath the middle head arrow

Quote:
(2) On the inside of the mintmark, is there a vertical bar, and if so, which side.

If I got this right you mean inside the letter O. I cant see anything inside.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2008  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay Eg, if either of those markers were there, you would see them, very noticeable.
VAM 16, date set much farther right than normal.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1013 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2008  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a VAM 2 (round O ) regards
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05