Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Extreme Die Pitting On 1946 Specimen Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4682 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:46 am Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 1947 dot coins are quite popular..with much discussion about them and their originins. The 1947 dot dollar is a product of a pitted specimen die.

I'm happy PCGS took trueviews that happened to show the dots on this piece so well..every little spot you see is a die pitting dot around the size of the one seen on the 1947 for dollars..this coin is PCGS SP66, from the Pittman Collection..with a heavy lacquer which was applied by the mint. The line you see by the date is a piece of lint which actually got stuck in the lacquer leaving an impression..this occurrence is common and doesn't hurt the eye appeal or grade

feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
774 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting...my '46 specimen nickel is pitted all over the place too...as is my '47.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4682 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting Johnny..mind posting pics of the 1947? I've yet to examine one.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
774 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried, taking photos through the ICCS holder is next to impossible!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4682 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha that's the reason I sent this one in actually..went from NGC, to ICCS, to PCGS..happy with the final result

By the way Johnny mind shooting me an email?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05