Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 UK Penny With Imprint Of The King On Rev.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at my UK penny's and noticed one of them had an imprint of King George on the reverse. I am curious as to how this happened. It appears to be two coins caught and struck together. What do Y'all think.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
31201 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7656 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's also known as Ghosting. (Easier to remember.)
It is fairly common on the earlier English pennies.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not just common, but almost impossible to find examples between 1911 and 1920 without ghosting! It came about because the bust was in too much relief for the minting process at the time, resulting in insufficient metal being left to complete the reverse.
Various attempts were made to correct the problem by tinkering with the design.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the first one I have ever seen1
Learn More...
Australia
13235 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ghosting is not considered an "error", as it is a nearly-inevitable outcome of a combination of high-speed minting processes and coin design. It is often seen on coins that are large, relatively thin, and have a high-relief design on one or both sides.

It's also why most modern coins do not have high-relief designs.

While ghosting can resemble a die clash, there are clear differences. On a die clash, the mirror-reversed design has a clear, sharp edge; with ghosting, the edge is blurred and fuzzy (like a ghost).
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Everyone for the interesting info.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05