Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Weirdly-Shaped Islamic Ae

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
3133 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  12:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this coin at last year's COINS show; the seller wasn't quite sure what it was either, but, IIRC, he said it was probably medieval Persia (and that it was probably minted that way).

Actually, he had a a bargain bin full of those; I picked the one with the most legend...

6.57 grams... dunno how to give the size - 18x16 mm?
It's 20 mm from top to bottom on first pic, along the diagonal, but, as should hopefully be visible on the second pic, it's roughly rectangular.

Dunno why I hadn't posted it on CCF before. I've had it for over a year.

(Incidentally, on that topic, my previously posted still-unidentified Islamic coins: one, two, three. Hoping to get @Kushanshah's attention...)
Pillar of the Community
United States
994 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid I can't be of much help. The first image has the Kalima with the name of the 'Abbasid caliph al-Nasir (1180-1225) below. I haven't been able to make sense of the few visible letters on the other side. My first impression based on the fabric and time frame was possibly the Ildegizids but I couldn't find a match on Zeno.

I saw the other 3 when originally posted but had nothing of value to contribute.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3133 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...In retrospect (after searching Zeno for weight range, size range, and "an-Nasir") I should darn well have guessed that, if the same seller had another bargain bin full of Shirvanshah coins (...all of them dated 1511 for some reason), this bargain bin was... also Shirvanshah coins.

Near-match on the non-kalima side, and of about the right shape: Zeno 126606.
(Possibly not a match, but I'm not good enough at Arabic to figure it out any better.)

It's sad that you wouldn't know this one, though - I guess it will always stay unidentified. At least I didn't hold much hope for the star.
(And is the last one even Islamic? I couldn't figure out which script it was.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
994 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think you have it. Shirvanshahs. The same type seems to have been issued by several rulers.

The little silver coin is of generally Golden Horde / Giray / Ottoman fabric. Unfortunately I can't make out much of the inscription.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05