Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Silver Dollar Mountie Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1669 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  11:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i am looking for some information. I thought that the 1973 silver dollar were pure silver not plated. what I am talking about is those sets that have the Mountie dollar in the set. if some one knows of a link any help greatly appreciated. I am just trying to work the bugs out of this setup thank you all
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3151 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
50 per cent Silver content , the ASW of pure Silver is .375 of an ounce .
Edited by Pacificoin
12/14/2019 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1669 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacificoin thank you so much. so this very thin layer of silver. what you are saying is that the silver content is at 50 percent. but the metal under the thin layer of silver. appears to be pure copper. see I dont have a COA for this coin. I am wondering how much copper and steel. would be under that thin layer of silver. the metal appears to be thou pure copper. Pacificoin thank you so much greatly appeciated
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1669 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacificoin finally found a COA
Specimen
A brilliant image relief is struck against a matte or lined background in order to achieve maximum visual impact. Specimen coins are struck up to two times on numismatic presses.
Specifications
Mintage: 904,723
Composition: 50% silver, 50% copper
Finish: Specimen
Weight: 23.3 g
Certificate: n/a
Face value: 1 dollar

wow this coin is pure copper under that layer of silver. that is not what the COA is saying thank you Pacificoin
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1011 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you think 8t is a thin layer of silver, with copper underneath?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4430 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is a mixture of 50, 50 copper and silver mixture, not plated
Learn More...
Canada
8785 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins were issued in those nasty "red fluff" Prestige Double Dollar sets. That is toning you are seeing, nothing more.

If you don't believe me, then give the coin a bath in silver dip... (frankly, these are basically melted, unless they have spectacular toning).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1458 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show the copper underneath?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1669 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP-Ottawa thank you I have ordered a bottle of silver dip. once it gets here I will dip this coin. so you guys can see the copper. have a great one
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2696 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless I am reading the above incorrectly, the whole coin is made with an alloy of 50-50 copper/silver, so there is no copper "underneath". I'm not a dollar collector ... I'm just taking what the two error collectors above have said.
Learn More...
Canada
8785 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
once it gets here I will dip this coin. so you guys can see the copper untoned .500 Ag surface.

There. Fixed it for you.

If this coin was plated, then it was done post-mint (aftermarket). The mint was not plating coins in 1973.

Roger
--
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05