Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 1 Cent Penny, Missing Some Of "N" In Cents PL Condition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  10:12 pm Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I'm taking photos of my 60's coins to digitally catalogue my collection and do some ads for the ones I don't plan to keep for eBay and looking at this 1966 penny the "N" in Cents seems to be missing part of it, the first leg of the N is missing some off of the bottom.

Also on the right of the rim there is extra metal but you may not be able to see it in this photo.

Would the "N" be from a grease filled die?

I compared it to others I seen online and ones I have and all the N's are level with the rest of the lettering so I know this one is shorter.

They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Edited by JohnWayne007
12/27/2019 12:14 pm
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made this photo to show you guys what I'm referring to, the coin on the left is mine, the one on the right is from coins and canada, you can see the N on mine has a short leg compared to the N on the one from coins and canada.

They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2019  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin on left is a proof-like strike, coin on right is a business strike.

You need to compare your coin to other proof-like strikes (not apples vs oranges).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for pointing that out! really noob mistake, but I found a pic on ebay of a 1966 proof still in the mint packaging and compared. you can view the coin I used in this link

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-1966...AOSwmapdeDLs

and here is the comparison, mine is the one on the left, ebay image from the link on the right.

Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1966 PL cent is a really cheap, widely available coin, to do some searches to see if others are out there, like it.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1737 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP the OP's Coin seems to be a MAD strike, this being a PL strike from the 60's shouldn't it have gone through better QC?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a different T as well. Probably just a heavily polished die. You're really doing a great job hunting and documenting your findings, thank you for that!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
520 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found other years in PL strikes with deformed letters. For example the leg missing off the leg of the A in REGINA. I will check my 1966s for short N.
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for the replies, and Alan you are very welcome, and thank you as well I do my best to try and document everything I find of interest. Even if some things turn out to be nothing or something of interest I think it saves others so they can focus on other finds, just my way of giving back for all the help I get on here.

There are a few deformed letters on this coin, the C in cent is also open more, the E in cent is thinner, the N is missing part of its leg, the T looks different, the three points of the 1 is also more "sharp" and pointy compared to the other proof from ebay. You can also see that all three "A"s in Canada look oddly thicker leaving the smaller space inside the A and to top it off the last 6 in the date looks really thin compared to the rest of the numbers in the date.

But I was just curious to know since this is a proof like strike, shouldn't proof coins be error free and as close to perfect as possible unlike this example? to the best of my knowledge I thought that proof dies were paid extra special attention to detail over what business strikes would usually get.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05