Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Animal On A Coin.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 246 / Views: 9,752Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul. For such a small coin I'm impressed by the amount of detail still visible. This one, though older, also retains much of the original detail.

It is not immediately apparent why this coin from Kyzikos in Mysia is here, but below the amphora is a tunny fish. Interestingly, what I thought was an "H" is actually a "Z".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyzicus
Kyzikos (Cyzicus) was a town of commercial importance due to it's advantageous location. The gold staters of Cyzicus were a staple currency in the ancient world till they were superseded by those of Philip of Macedon. The cyzicenus, was worth 28 drachmae. The famed ancient philosopher Eudoxus of Cnidus established a school at Cyzicus and went with his pupils to Athens, visiting Plato. Later he returned to Cyzicus and died in 355 B.C.

I couldn't find this coin in Wildwinds, but found a few on ACSearch like this one: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3052321

MYSIA. Kyzikos. (circa 4th century BC).
Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo left. Reverse: Amphora, below - tunny tight. Inscription: KY / ZI. Diameter: 9.4 mm. Weight: 0.65 gr. SNG France 411. SNG Cop 57.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2026 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good looking coin Jim....Very nicely detailed...
Jim I think there is an example on wildwinds but yours is MUCH nicer.
Kyzikos, Mysia, AE10. 400-300 BC. Laureate head of Apollo left. / KY-ZI, amphora on tunny fish right. Imhoof KM 2; Fritze 2 in Nomisma 10; SNG Tuebingen 2242.
Edited by Palouche
07/20/2020 09:30 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think there is an example on wildwinds

I missed that one Paul, so thanks for posting it.

This coin from Klazomenai, Ionia, caught my eye as it is one of only a few that I've seen with a swan on the reverse. Unfortunately there is not a lot of the detail of the swan left.

From Wikipedia: "A silver coin minted in Klazomenai shows the head of Apollo, the principal god of the city. According to myth, swans drew the chariot in which Apollo flew south every year from his winter home in the land of the Hyperboreans. But Klazomenai was also home to large numbers of swans, and it is thought that the verb klazo was used to describe the call of the wild birds. The swan on the obverse is both an attribute of Apollo and a pun on the name Klazomenai."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klazomenai

Klazomenai, Ionia, early 4th cent. BC.
Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo left. Reverse: Swan standing left, wings spread. Bronze. Diameter: 11 mm. Weight: 1.1 gr. Cf. Sear 4331.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2540 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been active in this section but here's a couple...

Athens Owl

Forepart of lion Thrace

Slightly mis-shapen turtle

Pillar of the Community
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set, David. Good to see you posting here again.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2540 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob, though I seem to have fallen in with the paper money lot. Hope everyone here is well though :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ancients to watches to paper money...

Well, we'll always be here if you come full circle.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2141 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up two Mysian obols with tunnys, hogs and lions. The detail is extremely sharp. Unfortunately my pictures were terrible due to their small size.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lovely group @DavidUK. I particularly like the portrayal of the cow's head.

There is not a lot of detail left of Tanit on this coin from Carthage, but I did like the very bold portrayal of the horse's head. The coin was listed as "Horses head right, star in right field. SNG Cop 144-147". However the star appears to be three pellets, making it SNG Cop 175.

From Wikipedia: "Tanit was a Punic and Phoenician goddess, the chief deity of Carthage alongside her consort Baal-Hamon. She was also adopted by the Berber people.

Tanit is also called Tinnit. The name appears to have originated in Carthage (modern day Tunisia), though it does not appear in local theophorous names. She was equivalent to the war goddess Astarte, and later worshipped in Roman Carthage in her Romanized form as Dea Caelestis, Juno Caelestis, or simply Caelestis."

Carthage 300 - 260 BC.
Obverse: Kore Tanit, left. Reverse: Horses head with three pellets in right field. Bronze. Diameter: 20mm. Weight: 5.10g. SNG Cop 175.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2020  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JRSinCT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure this AE18 of Philip II was my first.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another horse reverse from Alexandria in Troas. The city was founded around 310 BC by Antigonos and given the name Antigoneia. Ten years later Lysimachos renamed it Alexandreia.

This seems to be quite a rare coin.

Alexandria - Troas. 262 - 227 BC
Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo left. Reverse: Horse grazing left. Reverse Inscription: AΛE. Bronze. Diameter: 11 mm. Weight: 1.2 gr. Reference: SNG Cop. 69; SNG München 41.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the rarity, Jim. This horse looks like he better keep on grazing.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This horse looks like he better keep on grazing.

I still haven't managed to get a nice bronze eagle and crab Akragas coin, but this Hemidrachm has fairly good detail. It was listed as Sear 751v, but it closely resembles SNG ANS 1009 on Wildwinds.

SICILY, Akragas, 473 - 420 BC.
AR Hemidrachm. Obverse: Eagle standing left on dead hare. Reverse: AKPA. Crab, below, tunny fish left. Diameter 16 mm. Weight: 2.1 gr. Sear 751v.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2026 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice couple of coins Jim

That Traos is certainly a hard to come buy coin! And cool detail on the crab 'pincers n all'!...

Had a look back through your thread you've acquired some great coins....Nice little collection Jim!

Looking forward to seeing more...Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...you've acquired some great coins....Nice little collection Jim!

Although not so little at this point.
Page: of 17 Replies: 246 / Views: 9,752Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05