Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Animal On A Coin.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 87 / Views: 3,889Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
4891 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples of Seleukid animals today, Jim.

Sure seems like your avatar should be an ancient coin - and perhaps an animal type. Just sayin'.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3073 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sure seems like your avatar should be an ancient coin - and perhaps an animal type. Just sayin'.

I personally would have nominated the Troas horse.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
230 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

It does seem incongruous to be posting ancient coins, but have an avatar of a modern one. You are right, Bob, I'll have to change it.

Quote:
I personally would have nominated the Troas horse.

The Troas horse is indeed a favourite of mine, @january1may. It is a strong contender.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
230 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a nice elephant head on this Antiochus IV Epiphanes coin. On the obverse is a portrait of his wife (and sister) Laodice IV. They were the parents of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, and Alexander I Balas. Laodice IV was also married to her other brother Seleucus IV Philopator, and they were the parents of Demetrius I Soter.

Seleucid Kingdom, Antiochos IV Epiphanes. 175-164 BC. Veiled and diademed bust of Laodice IV right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY Head of elephant left; tripod behind.
Antioch mint. Struck circa 175 - 173/2 BC. Diameter 15mm. Weight 5,06g.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4891 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2020  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1826 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a nice looking coin Jim!...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
230 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Bob and Paul.

I found another Seleukos I Nikator coin with the winged head of Medusa and bull butting right. This one has better detail than the one I previously posted.

Seleukos I Nikator (312-281 BC). Winged head of Medusa right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY above and beneath bull butting right; Θ above, monogram between hind legs. Diameter 19mm. Weight 5.4gr.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Seleucids produced some great coins.Not the greatest governments though. The incredible shrinking empire.

You might be interested in the Phrygian wooden objects excavated at Gordion. These predate the first coins by about 150 years, and would be roughly contemporary with King Midas of Phrygia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordi...en_Artifacts

The most interesting of these is a carving of a combat between a bull and a lion, which is very similar to the image used on Alyatte's first Lydian staters.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
03/14/2020 10:01 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
230 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very iteresting article indeed, thanks @thq. The carving is quite beautiful. I have just bought a copy of "The Land of the Elephant Kings", am looking forward to reading it, and finding out more about this shrinking empire.

I was lucky enough to get this coin of Antiochos VIII Gryptos, but it is a pity that the eagle on the reverse does not have much detail.

Antiochos VIII Gryptos. AE19, 121-97 BC. Antioch ad Orontem mint. Radiate and diademed head of Antiochos VIII right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ to right and left of eagle standing left, sceptre over shoulder, IE in outer left field.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4891 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Radiate and diademed head of Antiochos VIII right...

Super obverse despite the off-centered strike.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
230 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob. I was lucky to get this one of Achaios (Achaeus) the Usurper, or the General. He came to a horrible end, despite his loyalty. The obverse is nicely centred, and the eagle on the reverse is more photogenic this time.

Seleucid Kingdom of Syria
Achaios (Usurper, 220-214 BC) Bronze. Sardes mint. Diameter 18 mm. Weight 5,37 g.
Obv: Laureate head of Apollo right.
Rev: Eagle standing right, palm frond over shoulder; monogram to outer right. BAΣIΛEΩΣ AXAIOY.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4891 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin with a majestic eagle.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1826 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've been picking up some nice coins lately Jim...

Particularly like the Achaios...A Good looker!

This isn't my area of collecting so as you post I've been reading up a little on each, finding it very interesting!....Paul
Valued Member
United Kingdom
230 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Super coin with a majestic eagle.

Thanks again Bob. I was really pleased with that one when it arrived.

Quote:
This isn't my area of collecting so as you post I've been reading up a little on each, finding it very interesting!

Thanks Paul. It is a pretty new field for me too. Some of the history is fascinating. I found a diagram of the Selucid family tree, and it is huge. I was surprised to see brother sister marriages, and in one case the sister was married to all three of her brothers.

This coin has the smallest depiction of a lion's head that I have seen so far. It is only 11mm in diameter, but is in pretty fair condition for it's age, especially the fine detail on the ear of corn on the reverse.

Lysimachia - Thrace, 309-220 BC. Obverse: Head of a lion facing right. Reverse: Grain ear. Reverse Inscription: ΛY-ΣI. Diameter: 11mm.
Netherlands
16 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quintillius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! I like it.
What does the picture of a bull on the reverse say to the ancient people?
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 87 / Views: 3,889Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05