Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Animal On A Coin.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 131 / Views: 5,375Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1901 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Jim.....I'd never heard of Lysimachia before...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysimachia_(Thrace)
Looks to be quite a scarce coin too?..
Congrats and thanks for sharing...Paul
Valued Member
United Kingdom
279 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What does the picture of a bull on the reverse say to the ancient people?

I'm not really sure about the symbolism, @Quintillius. I have read that the bull represented anything from strength and fortitude, to a bull representing the sun, and a cow representing the moon. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could explain better?

Quote:
Nice coin Jim.....I'd never heard of Lysimachia before.

It was a place that I was unfamiliar with too, Paul. When I come across these unusual coins, I've found that there usually is a very interesting history regarding their origin. Yes, the coin is said to be fairly scarce. That is an excellent map on the Wikipedia page, thank you.

Another recent find, a Kebren in Troas fraction. Considering it's age, and that the coin is only 10mm in diameter, the ram's head still shows reasonable detail. Apollo's head has not fared so well. I'm surprised that these tiny coins survive at all.

Kebren - Troas. 400-350 BC. Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo right. Reverse: Ram's head right; K below.
Bronze. Diameter: 10 mm. Weight: 0.9 gr. Reference: BMC 17
Pillar of the Community
United States
4998 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat ram there, Jim. I am fond of ram's horns due to their connection to the Divine (Golden) Ratio, which I've lectured about many times - and which the ancients, both in the East and West, were clearly aware of...

Tiny coin, but a nice example.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
279 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2020  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another interesting subject, Bob. Thank you. I read the on-line sample of "Interdisciplinarity, Creativity, and Learning.", and found the Divine (Golden) Ratio fascinating. I wonder what Euclid would think, if he knew that his "extreme and mean ratio" was still drawing so much attention after more than two millennia?

I think this is the smallest ancient coin I have. It is only 9mm in diameter. Unfortunately Pegasus is not clearly defined, but hopefully I'll find a better example some time in the future.

Skepsis - Troas. 350-310 BC. Obverse: Forepart of Pegasus right. Reverse: Fir tree within linear border.
Bronze. Diameter: 9 mm. Weight: 0.6 gr. Reference: SNG Cop 483; SNG von Aulock 1579
Valued Member
United Kingdom
279 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been trying to get an Ionian coin with a bee for some time now, but always get outbid in the auctions. They appear to be extremely popular. Though this one does not have a lot of detail, it will fill the gap in the meantime. The bonus is, that it has the kneeling stag on the reverse.

Ephesos - Ionia. 305-288 BC.
Obverse: Bee with straight wings. Obverse Inscription: E-Φ. Reverse: Stag kneeling left with head turned back. Diameter: 15 mm. Weight: 2.2 gr. Reference: BMC 67
Pillar of the Community
United States
4998 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Jim. Another twofer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1901 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good find Jim...
The reverse kneeling stag seems to be a lot less common?
Paul
Valued Member
United Kingdom
279 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice one, Jim. Another twofer.

Thanks Bob. It's always nice to find a "two in one" with the animals.

Quote:
The reverse kneeling stag seems to be a lot less common?

Cheers Paul. Yes, I have seen some with a stag, but that was the first one I had seen with the bee and kneeling stag combination.

I was lucky to get this Ionian coin with the female head facing left, and the bee reverse. The turreted headdress always makes me think of Tyche, but it seems not in this case.

Ephesos - Ionia. 305-288 BC.
Obverse: Female head left. Reverse: Bee. Reverse Inscription: E Φ. Diameter: 10 mm. Weight: 1.4 gr.
Reference: SNGCop 256; BMC 68-70; SNG Von Aulock 1839
Pillar of the Community
United States
2093 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to get one of the Mysia staters with a tuna, but the auctions always go out of my range.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think this is the smallest ancient coin I have. It is only 9mm in diameter. Unfortunately Pegasus is not clearly defined, but hopefully I'll find a better example some time in the future.
That's a really neat palm tree, but why are they calling it a fir?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1901 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree @january1may...There seems to be a mix of desciptions on this type some say Fir tree and others say Palm branch....

Another nice coin Jim Your becoming a bit of an Apiarist thats the second..
I've seen these types described as Artemis as well https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pr...Default.aspx
Valued Member
United Kingdom
279 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd like to get one of the Mysia staters with a tuna, but the auctions always go out of my range.

@thq It can be frustrating to see how much the creature coins, especially the sea creature coins, go for. I had hoped to add an Akragas eagle and crab coin to my collection, but even very worn ones command high prices.

Quote:
That's a really neat palm tree, but why are they calling it a fir?

@january1may It does seem like a rather odd description, and as Paul mentioned it is sometimes referred to as a palm branch. I agree that it is most definitely a palm tree.

Quote:
Another nice coin Jim Your becoming a bit of an Apiarist thats the second.

I was very lucky with those two Paul, so they may be the last. It's a pretty small colony with just the two.

The Artemis description is better than the "female head left" one. Female head left is just so bland.

Jim
Valued Member
United Kingdom
279 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Kyme - Aeolis coin with the fore-part of a horse, and the one handled cup reverse. This time Magistrate ΠΥΘΑΓΟΡΑΣ. It is in a similar condition to the previous one, and it's proving difficult to find another in better condition.

Kyme - Aeolis Magistrate ΠΥΘΑΓΟΡΑΣ. 320-250 ΒC
Obverse: Fore-part of horse right. Obverse Inscription: ΚΥ- (ΠΥΘ)ΑΓΟΡ(ΑΣ). Reverse: One-handled cup, ΗΡ monogram. Bronze. Diameter: 18 mm. Weight: 3.8 gr
Reference: Gaudin 257/77 ; cf. BMC 40-52; Magistrate name listed on p.60 of Revue Numismatique Année 1986 - n28 - Olivier Masson, Quelques noms de magistrats monétaires grecs. V. Les monétaires de Kymé d'Éolide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4998 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another decent bronze with honest wear and clear devices. Nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1901 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition Jim...
Interesting the different monograms used on the reverse, are these a reference to the cities where the coins were minted?...
I'm struggling to read the magistrates name but you have the coin in hand and your reference translates to him being a bit of a mathematician .....Paul
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 131 / Views: 5,375Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05