Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Your Numismatic Goals For 2020?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 4,571Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
3406 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so much goals but rather the thrust of my current
interest in my coin accumulation:
- Upgrade several Barber dimes in my completed collection.
(All currently approaching XF condition.)
- Perhaps take another look at my completed Barber Nickel
collection to upgrade if necessary. (All have nice, full
Liberties.)
- Inventory my type coins with the possibly selling a few.
- Heck, I even have about a dozen Classic Gold Coins ( Liberty and Indian ) that I would sell if the market were not so crazy and the "We Buy Gold" stores were not closed.

In short, 'Less is More!" Quality over quantity. The ability to carry the entire collection in a single bag!

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
931 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly thought I had done a post here, but it must have been on Numista.

My goals were to expand my halfcrown collection to have one coin from every reign back to Henry VIII eventually and knew it would be hard before Charles II.

Also to complete the Halfcrowns from 1887 onwards and buy several rare dates.

There was also the ongoing upgrades of NZ Florins and Halfcrowns to at least VF for silver (1933 - 1946) and EF for Cupronickel (1947 - 1965).

Also to buy silver coins of Ireland from 1928 to 1945.

So far the Half crowns are doing better than expected. I have all but 2 dates of the 1908 - 1951 period and now have all the rulers from George II forwards. I have also added Anne, Charles II and even Charles I and today the Commonwealth (Incredibly hard). James II, William III and him with Mary II along with George I elude me.

I won't even bother with Henry VIII (Gold one type only), Edward VI, Mary, Elizabeth and James I until I win Lotto, all 3 of my 17th century coins have cost an arm and a leg.

NZ goes well, with all but 2 dates of the silver halfcrowns upgraded and now 3 early Cupronickel ones replaced with AU coins. The Florins have started well with 4 silver dates now with VF - EF lustre pieces.

Ireland I have added a EF 1928 Florin and just bought 4 early halfcrowns in the same condition along with a stunning Choice UNC 1966 10 shilling piece.

Fiji goes well with 8 silver coins and the rare 1940 Halfpenny - for a Pandemic year I need to be thankful and congratulatory and also blessed.

On the other hand I am seriously considering quitting stamps altogether!

So great to hear you guys are ticking off lists too and finding the coins you want!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/30/2020 10:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2020  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My goal for 2020 is to finish my 7070 Dansco Type Album..

So far this year I got the 2 Liberty Seated dollars and the 3 Liberty Seated dimes.

All I have left is the Draped Bust 1796-1807 and the Classic Head 1808-1814 Large cents... 2 of the most expensive ones left... and It will be complete...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3477 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have also added Anne, Charles II and even Charles I and today the Commonwealth (Incredibly hard). James II, William III and him with Mary II along with George I elude me.
... all 3 of my 17th century coins have cost an arm and a leg.

I feel your pain. My wife is also working on a OFER (One From Every Reign) for Tudor & Stuarts, largest affordable coin in each reign. "Affordable" gets determined by the person buying them (i.e. me), so she has a mix of mostly shillings, half crowns and crowns (smaller for the Henrys and Mary). Commonwealth, Elizabeth and Mary with Phillip are still missing.
Congrats on that great progress! Have you posted the COmmonwealth issue anywhere on CCF?
Edited by tdziemia
05/01/2020 07:58 am
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My goal for 2020 is to finish my 7070 Dansco Type Album... So far this year I got the 2 Liberty Seated dollars and the 3 Liberty Seated dimes.
Excellent!

You bought one more Seated dollar than I have this year.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You bought one more Seated dollar than I have this year.

Silver coins have gone crazy in the last couple months... I usually get an Eagle, Maple Leaf and Britannia every year, and was shocked when I went on APMEX and everything is "Alert Me" . They have like 2 old Maple Leafs in stock, everything else is gone...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United States
1976 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's it, also maybe get a few ASE. I like ASE.

Yep, can't find silver at a good price anywhere :(

I recently picked up Mercury dimes at 15X, I used to get them at 12-13, sometimes even 11X.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
931 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia - Yes its on the "Show us your Great Britain acquisitions" - Page 100.

I was worried it was a fake for a while, but the sun has detail and generally who would fake a clipped coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
5119 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Find W Quarters!
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Edited by USSID18
05/06/2020 7:57 pm
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I commented in this thread early on, forget what I said, but see as expanding as a dealer is kinda in hold for now, my new goal is Newfie 5 and 10 pieces, mainly the 5 pieces though, however I highly doubt I'll finish the set by the end of this year... Or next year... Or maybe even this decade... The 2030s are looking promising though.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17069 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collection is quite mature, and I am more senior than most. Fortunately, I am not looking for any particular coin.

My aim is to not get CV, and hope that public auctions with view days, coin shops, and coin shows start again soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just read through this thread again. I'm wondering how many of you have had to alter your numismatic goals for 2020 due to everything that's going on. (you know... covid, recession/depression, and now riots)

I'm sort of sticking to my original goals, but due to the high premiums on au/ag I've bumped the wheat cents up the priority ladder. i'll get more au/ag, I'm not worried, but i'd rather press on with gathering the last 10 LWCs I need to fill the folder.

anyone else have to revise goals?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1746 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me, earlier:
Quote:
Make progress on the sets I'm still working on:
* Indian quarter eagles
* Chinese pandas

Get the Apollo commemoratives I'm still missing:
* Half dollars
* Gold half eagles

Fill the holes in my CAPS half dollar album
* Bust half, reeded edge
* 1892 Columbian half

Maybe one piece of graded paper currency

Convince myself to either start or abandon the idea of collecting either:
* Barber halves (CAPS album)
* Standing Liberty quarters (registry set)

Me, revisited:
* I'll still grab Indian quarter eagles and pandas if I see a nice one for a good price, but I'm being more selective.
* Still looking for Apollo half dollars/half eagles. They're just not coming up in my searches (and only passively looking anyway).
* Got the 1892 Columbian half, but not the Bust half/reeded edge. Still looking -- it's the only hole left in my album.
* Started, then paused, a Type set of $50 currency.
* Gave up the idea of a Standing Liberty registry set, but I did start Barber halves. Those are inexpensive enough compared to my usual collecting that it helps pass the time and there are plenty to look at before I click the Buy button.

So I've mainly put a pause on upgrades and shifted focus to less expensive items (though I can still be persuaded, just not as easily).

Edit to add: My husband commented the other day that I was trying to compete with rich people. That put a damper on things.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
06/06/2020 02:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2381 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My goal is just to add to my Mughal / IPS rupee collection. Preferably to add an emperor I don't have yet but the prices go from minimal for the common emperors to astronomical for the scarcer ones (or scarcer mints) very quickly. My best bet is to find a misattributed one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3477 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm wondering how many of you have had to alter your numismatic goals for 2020 due to everything that's going on. (you know... covid, recession/depression, and now riots)

I am very fortunate that my income (patched together from four different sources) has not been affected. I collect world coins, exclusively using internet channels rather than LCS, so my main problem is "deferred gratification" due to longer mailing times from across the pond. I think there has actually been a little less competition at some smaller auctions, which potentially makes it a good time to buy, if you are able.
Probably everyone has a slightly different combination of factors right now.
Edited by tdziemia
06/06/2020 07:53 am
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 4,571Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05