Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Your Numismatic Goals For 2020?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 4,665Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm wondering how many of you have had to alter your numismatic goals for 2020 due to everything that's going on. (you know... covid, recession/depression, and now riots)
Not me, or at least not me yet.

My goals did kind of imply participation in How Far Back Can We Go 6th edition, but I lost steam there back in January anyway, and I'd still need all of that for the 7th edition when that happens (circa late 2021).

Aside from that, however, not much had changed. Even as it was, I quite often spent as much as several months without significant coin purchases; and I'm already looking forward to the day when I could walk to a coin shop - if probably in a mask and gloves - and buy some coins again (I estimate sometime around August).

Admittedly, it certainly didn't help that the old smartphone that served as my main camera developed such extreme battery problems that it could no longer work as a camera; fortunately, I figured out some backup ways to make half-decent photos with existing phones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4738 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Goal: Waiting for the pandemic to run itself out so I can go to a coin show.
Right now I'm thinking of the November Baltimore Whitman Show.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm wondering how many of you have had to alter your numismatic goals for 2020 due to everything that's going on.

So far I haven't had to revise my goals, and I've been very blessed to continue actively collecting given the circumstances. My focus lately has been on my modern US sets, mostly because they're less expensive and readily available compared to my classic sets. I've also used eBay to find coins, which I had only done once before. However, I'm hesitant to make any expensive purchases (over $50) given the uncertainty, and I'm always mindful of my budget.

And since we've reached the halfway point of the year, I think it's a good time to check in on my goals:

Quote:
1. Finish inventorying and photographing collection

2. Avoid impulse buys, i.e. anything that is not on my set lists

3. Buy one Barber dime and one Washington quarter for my sets

4. Buy one ATB mint or proof set to fill the holes in my albums

5. Add one book to my small numismatic library

6. Get another person interested in numismatics

1. I'm not sure if my inventory will ever truly be "complete," but I have made good progress on updating it and taking photos. At the very least, I have a good list of things I need to do with both my inventory and photos.

2. Technically I've stuck to this goal so far, although I decided to expand one of my existing sets.

3. I haven't found any Barber dimes or Washington quarters that I like for the grades I'm looking for. I am very selective with these sets and prefer to examine these coins in person. Given the pandemic, I don't see any opportunities for me to do that this year, so I might not complete this goal.

4. I've purchased 3 ATB proof sets, one mint set, and several individual coins I needed for my set, so this goal is complete!

5. Not yet.

6. Not yet, although I am planning to do so later this year.
Edited by CollegeBarbers
06/06/2020 7:53 pm
Learn More...
United States
87899 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And since we've reached the halfway point of the year...
We still have another month.

Since my last update, I have only purchased the 2020 silver and clad proof sets from the mint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a while back that I wanted to finish my Dansco 7070 Type Album and I did it this week, then I saw an upgrade to one of my coins that I couldn't pass on (a BU Barber quarter), so when it arrives I will post pics...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Learn More...
United States
87899 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7114 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in December I'd said I just wanted hole fillers for my type set. Since then I changed my tune and dumped around $10,000 into the set. On the plus side, it's super high quality, on the down side it's still a long way from completion.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3525 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although it's still early in June, I don't think I will add more this month, so here's my mid-year update:

Quote:
. 1. Spend far less on coins than I did in 2019. That should be easy since I filled in a lot of gaps in 2019 ... but the remaining gaps are more expensive to fill. I won't meet this goal by year end unless I slow down considerably in the second half of the year.

2. Acquire more early dated coins (1474-1506) that fit within my existing themes (i.e. avoid "scope creep" into new areas in order to get dates I am missing). I have gotten 1478, 1481, 1482 (undated but attributed), 1490, 1494, 1499, 1501, 1503.

3. Acquire the few missing 16th century dates in my Kingdom of Poland OFEY: 1516, 1553, 1590. Done! The 1516 came from a CCF member, thanks, @giedrius. In addition, I've acquired half my missing dates in the next century: 1602, 1610, 1617, 1625, 1628, 1631, 1633, 1672, 1682, 1684.

4. Continue to learn. I have been learning a lot about 16th and 17th century Silesian coinage, which I am looking at for filling interregnum and other gaps in my Poland OFEY. Also learned some things about medieval Florentine coinage, thanks in part to info provided by @spence
Edited by tdziemia
06/07/2020 9:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to clean up all my stuff laying around. Its hard to fully enjoy it when it is scattered and unorganized. So, probably just getting more albums to put stuff in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2019 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to finish 3 sets
1) complete the walking liberties only need 8 DONE
2) complete the bison nickels 1 page done, 1 page to goDONE
3) complete and upgrade the V nickels , I'm only missing 3 but a few I want to upgrade to full liberty PARTIALLY DONE
4) get the 2016 gold Mercury dimeDONE
5) get the 2001 silver bison dollars (proof and unc)DONE
6) get a nice IHC ms 62+DONE

That's it, also maybe get a few ASE. I like ASEDONE

I'm done with everything I wanted to accomplish in 2020. Better start on the 2021 list

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
983 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post from April 30th - progress report

"My goals were to expand my halfcrown collection to have one coin from every reign back to Henry VIII eventually and knew it would be hard before Charles II.

Also to complete the Halfcrowns from 1887 onwards and buy several rare dates. - I now have most dates from 1887 onwards and have just added 1903 and 1904 - only 1905 and 1965! eludes me between 1899 and 1970

There was also the ongoing upgrades of NZ Florins and Halfcrowns to at least VF for silver (1933 - 1946) and EF for Cupronickel (1947 - 1965).The silver halfcrowns are all VF at least now, but the Florin plan is on ice for a bit

Also to buy silver coins of Ireland from 1928 to 1945.Good progress - added silver halfcrowns from 1928, 33, 39 and 40

So far the Half crowns are doing better than expected. I have all but 2 dates of the 1908 - 1951 period and now have all the rulers from George II forwards. I have also added Anne, Charles II and even Charles I and today the Commonwealth (Incredibly hard). James II, William III and him with Mary II along with George I elude me. A big thrust to get modern dates has meant I have only removed William III to this list- but its still only June

I won't even bother with Henry VIII (Gold one type only), Edward VI, Mary, Elizabeth and James I until I win Lotto, all 3 of my 17th century coins have cost an arm and a leg.

NZ goes well, with all but 2 dates of the silver halfcrowns upgraded and now 3 early Cupronickel ones replaced with AU coins. The Florins have started well with 4 silver dates now with VF - EF lustre pieces.Bought 2 errors, a one diamond 3d of 1942 and a strapless bust 1957 6d

Ireland I have added a EF 1928 Florin and just bought 4 early halfcrowns in the same condition along with a stunning Choice UNC 1966 10 shilling piece.

Fiji goes well with 8 silver coins and the rare 1940 Halfpenny - for a Pandemic year I need to be thankful and congratulatory and also blessed."Pretty much left it for time being

Another big achievement was adding two very nice Southern Rhodesian Halfcrowns, a gorgeous 1927 South African one and a decent second Boer one

Also started collecting Egyptian and Turkish silver coins of the Ottoman Empire

My global change collection has also improved
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
87899 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm done with everything I wanted to accomplish in 2020. Better start on the 2021 list
Impressive!

Quote:
Post from April 30th - progress report
Looking good!
Valued Member
Canada
481 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Get the last two Washington quarters and last Roosevelt dime I need for my albums.
2. Work on getting more Canadian Victorian silver.
3. Continue to build out my Morgan dollar collection that I started this year.
4. Add to my Canadian banknotes.
5. Continue to stoke my older daughter's interest in coins.

1. Finished these albums early in the year.
2. Bought some on eBay earlier this year, but it hasn't been a focus for the past few months.
3. The seller I was buying from online is no longer selling. I continue to opportunistically look online, but I'm not in a rush.
4. I added a handful of notes from online sellers and a couple from a coin show early in the year. This has been where the bulk of my numismatic budget has gone this year. Not really looking for anything else right now.
5. I got her a German 2019 "Temperate Climate Zone" 5 euro coin for her birthday next week. She wanted a "ring coin" and didn't care which colour. We went to one coin show early in the year, but unfortunately no shows to attend for the time being.

Other areas:
6. I'm still in need of 2020 Canadian and US coins. Given that I haven't used cash much at all in the past few months or done any CRH, I'm not looking too hard at this point.
7. I bought a 1914 D Lincoln cent online. Still waiting for it to arrive. That just leaves the '09 S VDB.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 4,665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05