Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Grade This 1859 Please!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  4:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not quite sure if this 1859 with a cracked planchet would grade high AU or MS?

Your opinion please!

Thanks
MG

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16474 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think 'lifted edge of lamination' rather than cracked planchet - still quite interesting anyway, and nearly the same thing.

A few tiny very tiny impact dents in Victoria's neck and above her lip.
Three very light scrapes below 'CENT'.

Wear on the high points of the design (obv.)
-leaves, hair and ear lobe-
must have happened in 1859 or 1860, because the patina (what little there is of it), is undisturbed.

AU-58 RD
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44961 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-58 as well. Beautiful example.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
761 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin, I don't see any wear but there doesn't seem to have the lustre or it's muted in the picture.
I know it's hard to capture lustre in photo's
The Haxby number is PC59-57 Obverse 25 with reverse F1 and a very nice one.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! I think it's an easy EF-45 but it'll have to fight hard to be an AU. The obv has lots of detail but the sharpness isn't there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms 60
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16474 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do notice the lack of luster for a nice red bronze coin,
but I don't have a good answer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2756 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin, but very slight Obv wear in the hair a leaf lobe tips. I'm at high AU ... nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with high AU-58. It's really a nice coin.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1442 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with others AU-58 or better nice coin with very little marks any 59 is a nice coin but in this condition is a treasure

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10714 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't believe it would make MS, AU58 I'm thinking, nice one though.
True North
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU 58

PS also noticed small die cracks at left of the reverse.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05