Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4,233 / Views: 84,043Next Topic
Page: of 283
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1888-A France 50 Centimes, nice EF

1888 Canada Large Cent

As usual, the 8's in the date show signs of repunching/recutting.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1888 Liberty Seated dime (Proof)

1888 5 Stotinki (Bulgaria)

The obverse has a planchet streak and the reverse has a bisecting die crack that is quite obvious!

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite 2 1888's.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#1 favorite 1888/7 Shilling

Not sure what the British grade is, my American grade is EF-AU

Valued Member
Russian Federation
98 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Denmark 2K 1888

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8684 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 -- Free Hanseatic City of Hamburg, 20 mark:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8684 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 -- Kingdom of Prussia, 20 mark:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8684 Posts
1887 -- United Kingdom, 1/2 crown:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
972 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paralyse, love your 1887/8 shilling - British grade would be below EF, some quite noticeable wear patches, but still very nice (Flat detail on Irish harp, flat patches on Victoria's shoulders, flat hair strands = gVF to aEF).

I only have 2 coins for 1887, was going to show the Half crown but Pepactonius has jumped the gun again!
Which is a shame as its my last Halfcrown until 1845 and I only have a worn 1887 penny as well.

A very honestly worn coin. 1887 was the Golden Jubilee and the first year of the Jubilee head after 50 years of the Young head design of William Wyon.

However this did not extend down to the bronze coins which had Young Viccy for another 8 years.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
06/02/2020 01:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7065 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  03:52 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - I don't mind seeing your halfcrown!

Some of my coins for 1887. The silver coins in particular are much easier to find in EF or better than those of 1888-92, as many were put aside as souvenirs of the Golden Jubilee, and because for many people it was the first design change in their lifetimes!

Halfpenny - the Bun Head as used (with minor variations)since 1860:

Sixpences - Withdrawn type on the left and Revised type on the right. Like the 'Racketeer Nickel' 4 years earlier, the first type of Jubilee sixpence with the shield reverse was commonly gilded and passed off as a half-sovereign, so was soon withdrawn and replaced with the new design:

Shilling:

Florin - One contemporary writer described the design as "an arrangement of tea-trays and pokers":

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7065 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  03:56 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Higher denomination UK coins for 1887:

Halfcrown:

Double-florin - first year of issue. The coin was only struck for four years:

Crown - no more crowns after this for 40 years:

Two pounds (mount marks on obverse):
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
972 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins NumisRob love your Crown and 2 Pound coin!

I guess my halfcrown was not souvenired!!

This one is not as bad as the others and is close to fine.
In my first collection (1990s) I had an UNC 1887 and then (1997) it only cost me $95.

There was also an 1887 Halfcrown issued with the young head which is much more rare (None of these coins are mine - a Google search)

So far my Half Crown collection is only fairly complete from 1887 onwards - but Young Head half crwons were issued 1874 to 1887 after a 24 year hiatus - so they could promote the Florin.

It will be the last Halfcrown you see off me until Mid July unless I buy some in.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8684 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 -- United Kingdom, 1 florin:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8684 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 -- United Kingdom, 1 shilling:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8684 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1887 -- United States, 1 dollar:

Page: of 283 Previous TopicReplies: 4,233 / Views: 84,043Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05