Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4,645 / Views: 97,041Next Topic
Page: of 310
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1113 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree, somewhere I looked it said the main difference between the two eras was that the later coins were much more crudely executed.

Just one more year and we reach 1845 the most common year for early Victorian Halfcrowns of which I have one.

1846 was also the first really bad Potato Harvest in Ireland (An Gorta Mor) and was the beginning of the serious potato famine, which saw the deaths of 1 million Irish and the eventual migration out of Ireland of 4 million more. In 1841 Ireland had 9 million people, in 1851 7 million by 1891 it was just 3.5 million. Today the Republic has barely 5 million and the north 1.5 million.

1846 was also the year the Corn Laws were redacted in the UK and Bread became much cheaper overnight and also the main year of the Mexican American war, many American troops fighting side by side became enemies 15 years later.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8810 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1846 -- Principality of Schwarzburg-Sonderhausen, 1/2 groschen:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8810 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1846 -- United States, 2.5 dollars:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8810 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1846 -- United States, 10 dollars:

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
348 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
erafjel with his 17th and 18th century Swedish coins

Sorry @Princetane, I have very few Swedish coins older than 1870. I will show the ones I have, for sure, but most of my contributions will be from France (they too have nice coins, I promise ).

But for today I actually happen to have a Swedish coin!

Sweden 1846, Oscar I, 1 ducat. Sweden minted gold ducats for the international trade until 1868.

Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2 1/2 gold is an 1846-O. Mintage of 62,000.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8894 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Liberty Seated half dollar die varieties were and are studied by William "Bill" Bugert of the LSCC, and his initials "WB" are used to identify some of the more well-known die varieties.

The first 4 volumes (S, CC, O1, O2) are available at no charge in PDF format; the 5th (Philadelphia) is not free currently.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
859 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, paralyse.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1113 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry @Princetane, I have very few Swedish coins older than 1870. I will show the ones I have, for sure, but most of my contributions will be from France (they too have nice coins, I promise ).

Sorry I got you confused with someone else in the 5th edition, I have an old smoky cheapo computer that can't have more than 3 tabs open without it going to blue screen of death, so hence can't check facts well.

I remember someone showed a lot of old Swedish coins in Marks from the 17th century and someone else had heaps of Dutch, French jetons from like 1600 etc and someone had heaps of Lithuanian and Polish small silver coins.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1113 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1845 and I am back with a halfcrown for the first time in 42 days since June 2nd

1845 was the most common year of the early Victorian series (1839 - 1850), and of course all I can pony up is a well worn example in aVG condition. Still watch this space, things will get better.

1839 and 1841 Halfcrowns are incredibly rare, 1841 had just 46k minted, 1839 no number given but believed to be under 10k. On the other hand 1845 was 2.25 million issued, low by early 29th century standards, but high by early 19th century ones.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8894 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  12:45 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A nice 1846 four pence (groat) and a not so nice shilling

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8894 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  12:47 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More well-travelled Victorian coins for 1845, four pence (groat) and sixpence this time

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8894 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite Victorian coins is this 1845 farthing (British East India) with an obverse die that broke in half and neat woodgrain toning on the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8894 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A scarcer 1845 Large Cent, Newcomb N-15
As an R4 this is one of the tougher 1845's.

Edited by paralyse
07/14/2020 12:51 am
Page: of 310 Previous TopicReplies: 4,645 / Views: 97,041Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05