Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4,749 / Views: 99,788Next Topic
Page: of 317
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found my original write-up for this so here you have it.

1844 - Berlin Exposition - Steam Loco/German Industries
Bronze proof medal, 45mm, 51.6g with thick plain edge

References: Slg. Wurzbach 685; Slg. Marienburg 4234

Obv: Germania seated holding wreath and sword, motto "Seid Einig" (Be United) engraved on rock

Engraved and struck by Christian Loos.

Legend in German: Erinnerung an die Ausstellung Deutscher Gewerbserzeugnisse zu Berlin 1844 (Commemorating the Exhibition of German Trade Goods in Berlin 1844)

Rev: An autumn or harvest wreath with five images -- a steamship, a mine, a cottage, an iron foundry and a wool mill -- encircles a steam locomotive and its tender (the 'Adler', Germany's first successful commercial steam locomotive, built in 1835) that is passing over a brick arched bridge. The images represent Germany's key industrial and trade exports of the era: shipbuilding, textiles, metal, ore, and timber.

Engraved by C. H. Lorenz & E. Schilling and struck by Loos.

Legend in German: Vorwärts mit Deutschem Fleisse und Deutscher Kraft (Forward with German industriousness and German strength)

One of two surviving replicas of the 'Adler' (Eagle) was fully restored and rebuilt from 2007-2010 and resides in the Nuremberg Transport Museum, where it still makes rail journeys -- under its own steam! -- on very special occasions.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another pair of tokens for 1844

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An 1844 Victoria sixpence and an 1844 New Orleans quarter

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16028 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian provinces
(Canada) '
½ Penny - Bank of Montreal.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16028 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian provinces
(Canada) '
½ Penny - Bank of Montreal.'

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1156 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 coins from me for 1843 both British and both low value.

A holed groat. A groat was a fourpenny coin which was first used in the 13th century, used widely from 1351 to around 1675, they were issued as Muandy pieces right through, but were superseded by the 3d and 6d bits. Reissues of Groats took place in the early 19th century for use in colonies. This coin is holed and very worn but an intact example.

A copper farthing, better than average (Fine - VF). The smallest official coin, values down to 1/4 were made for colonial use and evidence of 1/2 farthings circulating in Britain are known too.

This is a nice coin and the last from me for a while.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  02:32 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1843 Large Cent, Newcomb N-9

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  02:34 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have an 1843 Farthing but I need to redo the photos

So until then, here's a bit larger coin...

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7304 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  04:11 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, everyone!

Some Victorian small change from the UK:

Farthing:

Threepence:

Four Pence (Groat):

Shilling:

The silver groat had started to disappear from circulation during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, eclipsed by the threepenny bit and sixpence. It was a Scottish Member of Parliament, Joseph Hume, who was largely responsible for the coin's revival in the 1830s. At the time, four pence was a common cab fare in London, and Mr Hume was apparently fed up with giving cab drivers a sixpence and being told "Sorry, Guv, I've got no change!" The coin was nicknamed the "Joey" after him.
Edited by NumisRob
07/16/2020 04:13 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1156 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NumisRob, I knew there was some reason for that groat being issued.

I think in 1830s London 4d was also the lowest postage rate before penny post was introduced in 1839.

I can't believe we are nearly finished with Victoria - just 6 more days and we reach the Georgian era!

Paralyse, I love that Seated dollar!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2249 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Penny

Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1843 US Large Cent. N5.

Edited by joecoin
07/16/2020 08:34 am
21 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dino Dosenbier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Denmark 32 Rigsbankskilling = 10 Schilling Schleswig-Holsteinisch Courant 1843 FF (Altona mintmark)

Learn More...
United States
16698 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 2 1/2 Groschen from the German State of Prussia dated 1843:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8837 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1843 -- Canton of Schwyz, 1 rappen:

Page: of 317 Previous TopicReplies: 4,749 / Views: 99,788Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05