Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,148 / Views: 112,336Next Topic
Page: of 344
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
392 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
France 1818, 20 francs, Louis XVIII, minted in Lille (W).

Louis XVIII, for the second time restored as king of France after Napoleon's second abdication in 1815 (more about this in a few days ). This is also the second portrait on his 20 francs coins, the first from 1814 was disliked by the king and many others (this portrait is better; again, opportunity to compare in a few days).
Learn More...
United States
17094 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1818 Large Cent:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9007 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1817 half dollar--

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7472 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  04:27 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1817 British sixpence:

1817 shilling:

Two halfcrowns for Princetane today! This is the first one, with the so-called 'Bull Head', apparently disliked by the King:

Here is the revised version with a more flattering portrait:

After a long period during which very few British coins had been issued, there was an amazing number of new designs placed in circulation between 1816 and 1826. For collectors at the time, it must have been like today's avalanche of commemorative 50p and 2 coins, or like the heady days of the Franklin Mint in the mid-1970s! I wonder if The Royal Mint received any letters from disgusted collectors in the 1820s complaining about the excessive number of new coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8956 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1817 -- United Kingdom, 6 pence:

just 1 coin for this year
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1317 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins NumisRob and Pepactonius

I found this letter in my family archive (I have some English ancestors) - Warning he was barely literate and used archaic English (Runs in the family with my typo)

Jan 1ft 1827
Jas. Whiting esq

The Royall Mint
Tower Hill
LONDON

Dear Sir,
I am regiftering my utter difguft with the excefsive number of coine ifsues at the moment. After 65 years of abfolutely nothing, we have a virtual bombardment of overdone and extremely tastelefs defigns showing crowned shield, overfized crowns (For an overfized king!). My poore dear wife who is completely unable to read and write is entirely confabulated with the grete diverfity of the designs and has thrown her hands up in disguft at all.

Since 1816 I have noticed no lefs than 5 (!) different halfcrowns, the people in France and that rebel nation of America have just one defign, why not us.

I feel sorry for any of my defcendants who try to collect thefe infernal things in the future like in say 2026.

It's enough to make one want to migrate to the colonies.

Yours in disguft

Jas Whiting

Great great great great grandfather of the acclaimed future numifmatift Princetane.

Sorry just good for a laugh.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7472 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  06:37 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if The Royal Mint received any letters from disgusted collectors in the 1820s complaining about the excessive number of new coins?

well, now I know!
So here's something from a country with a more modest coin issue policy - my rather battered 1817 US Large Cent!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
392 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found this letter in my family archive

Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One ugly 1817 US Large Cent - N11

Learn More...
United States
89942 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found this letter in my family archive... Sorry just good for a laugh.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2275 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9007 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane, you made my evening with that one. Very well written and complete with use of the long S. Bravo! :)

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
181.7 Capped Bust Half Dollar punctuated date Overton 102

"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9007 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew my favorite Bust Half variety would make an appearance :)

1817 Large Cents

Newcomb N-3 (13 Stars) & N-16 (15 Stars)

Page: of 344 Previous TopicReplies: 5,148 / Views: 112,336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05