Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 5,162 / Views: 113,011Next Topic
Page: of 345
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8962 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1816 -- United Kingdom, 1 shilling:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8962 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1816 -- United States, 1 cent:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9010 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:39 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1816 N-7 & N-9 Large Cents

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9010 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:44 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9010 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  12:45 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1816 Sixpence & Shilling

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1330 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad you all liked the letter - was worried I would be warned for getting off topic, but glad you all have the sense of humour.

As for the long s, wait until the 17th century, when my 9 greats grandad Adam Whiting complains about a clipped half crown he received!

Anyway my coin and already I have seen some fabulous pieces in perfect condition like Pepa's shilling - wow

1816 Halfcrown, condition Fine/gFine - I like this coin and glad to have a first year example of the great recoinage - not as good as Pepa's but this is a solid B- coin here.
Also the "Bull head" portrait which George III hated, it was really a lip service thing only as George IV and Lord Liverpool were running the country at this stage.

1816 saw a massive recoinage of all the denominations from the new Sovereign coin (1 instead of 21/- like the Guinea) and a range of silver from the Crown (5/-) down to 3d and new copper pennies, halfpences and farthings, most of the denominations emerged in 1816, but some of the copper, the crown and gold had to wait until 1817.

Also the coins were issued on new steam presses, producing a perfectly round coin with a nice thick reeded edge. This technology had been used on some copper coins like Cartwheels and various fractional pence and bank tokens, but now all coins got the steam press treatment coutesy of Boulton and Watt.

Some of these denominations had not been issued since 1751, It was also the establishment of a gold standard and standardised weights for each piece, a template that lasted until 1920!

The year was crucial as the size of all the coins has survived to this day with Australian coins, yes a 5c and 10c coin dated 2020 are the same size and weight as a 6d, and 1/- dated 1816. Except or course they are sterling silver.

Also it saw the arrival of the beautiful St George and the Dragon design on Crowns and the gold.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
08/12/2020 06:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1816 US Large Cent - N7

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16108 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1816 UK.
Half Crown- George III 1st portrait.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3730 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@paralyse, I'm not familiar with SEGS, but it's impressive that they were able to determine the corrosion on that Large Cent was from weak beer.

And nice to see another Polish coin.
Edited by tdziemia
08/12/2020 07:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7486 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain 1816 sixpence:

Shilling:

Halfcrown:

The shilling is one of two 1816 shillings that I've found with my metal detector. It was on some land that used to be the parkland surrounding a grand country house, which was demolished in the 1960s. The land is now covered by a new housing estate!

From tomorrow my contributions to this topic will become fewer, and there will be fewer coins, as we enter the UK numismatic desert that was the greater part of King George III's reign!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1330 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As with NumisRob, I will also be laying a lot lower from now on.

Between 1751 and 1815, English coinage had a crisis, many wars and political instability along with no silver producing colonies and an emphasis on mining coal and producing steam power rather than mining precious metal led to this.

Looking at coins in this period - Gold guineas were not that affected with reliable issues until the 1770s and many 1/3 guineas right through to the 1800s.

Silver was a different story, no crowns or Halfcrowns at all between 1751 and 1816 and 1751 was a very scarce year (I only just got a rare 1750 halfcrown) - 1746 Lima was the last plentiful year for silver, and this was because of a basic plundering of the Spanish silver fleet (Sorry Spain).

There were 3 issues of the lower coins after a rash of coins that ran through to 1757/58 for smaller coins to 1 shilling, Northumberland shillings were minted in 1763 - so named as he paid for them and provided the silver, there was also a decent issue of shillings and sixpences in 1787 which had a few varieties, basically the only fairly common silver in this period. There was also a very rare 1798 shilling called the Doriens Magen shilling.

Maundy sets appeared every few years between 1760 and 1815, but they were hardly regular.

There were some counterstruck coinages though, Spanish 8 reales coins of Carlos III and IV (1760 - 1803) were counterstruck with an image of George III in 1798 and 1804, also in 1805 Bank of England silver dollars were issued with an image of Britannia on a Spanish dollar (Design obliterated). In 1811 through to 1815 bank tokens of the weird amounts of 9d, 18d and 3/- were issued - again with perfectly round steam blanks and also 5d and 10d coins issued for Ireland.

The copper was slightly better, with a run of copper halfpence and their imitations in the 1770s, then the famous Cartwheel 1d and 2d of 1797 (The first steam coins with a perfectly round planchet). A series of steam powered produced Halfpennies and Farthings followed in 1799 and again in 1806/07 - These coins were also produced for Ireland with a harp on them. All of this copper from 1797 onwards was produced by Boulton and Watt at their Soho mint.

Finally the era saw an amazing range of Conder tokens ranging from Farthings, Halfpence and even pennies, mostly privately produced with a plethora of designs and for commercial entities - mostly with Welsh copper - these coins are a lot of fun to collect. The main periods were 1787 - 1796 and again in the early 1810s. Some silver tokens to 1/- were also issued in the later period.

Well that post was to put you all in the loop - my next British coin will be a Workhouse conder penny from 1812!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2276 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Danish West Indies

Haiti

Learn More...
United States
17113 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my Large Cent from 1816:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9010 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia SEGS was a fairly decent grading company that got a bad rap (somewhat unfairly IMO but at least partially deserved) for being too "nitpicky" on some coins but severely over- or under-grading on others. This particular coin is overgraded (again IMO) but it does have "weak beer" corrosion. The holders are quality and their descriptive grading is a nice step above plain old "Details" grades.

Much like PCI's old holders, a SEGS coin holder is a great case for "buy the coin, not the slab" because you can find some really good deals out there that get ignored because of the label. Just remember to grade the coin yourself and not go by the "grade" on the holder.

I do have a few more Polish coins but compared to German States issues they tend to be both scarcer and more expensive.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9010 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:53 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spain - 1815-Mo HJ 1 Real (Mexico City)

Page: of 345 Replies: 5,162 / Views: 113,011Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05