Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,172 / Views: 113,293Next Topic
Page: of 345
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9013 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane it's Mexico City (the O above M on the mintmark is still visible) and mintmaster appears to be FF.

That would leave the following dates:

1772, 1778-1783, 1784

of which 1780-1783 are by far the most common dates, with 1772, 1778-1779, and 1784 being scarcer.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9013 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  01:54 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 1780 here is a (modern restrike) 1780-dated Maria Theresa Thaler (MTT) graded MS 66 by NGC with a nice prooflike cameo effect.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
395 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
France 1780, liard, Louis XVI, Paris (A).

A liard equalled 3 deniers and was the lowest denomination during the 18th century. It was just small change, few things cost less than 1 sol (4 liards).

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1333 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paralyse, definitely 178something as I can make out an 8.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7493 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  04:07 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Dutch Duit:

Lovely thaler, paralyse! Mine was obtained by my parents from a bank in Salzburg, Austria - it was my 11th birthday present! (The vertical stripe across the obverse is from the envelope it was supplied in).

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
395 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Maria Theresia thalers have a timeless beauty and they are a small sideline in my collection. So here is the one I have with actual minting date closest to 1780.

Austria, 1780 restrike (actual date 1781-88), GŁnzburg.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1333 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes erafjel you are right. The easiest way to see if you have an original or fairly original Maria Theresa Thaler is to look at the U in Austria, shaped like a U its 1780 to 1792, if its shaped like a V then its a restrike.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
395 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
V vs U is indeed a start . There are several details in the design that can be used to determine mint and time span for a restrike. A good online resource for determining varieties of MTTs is this page: http://www.theresia.name/en/index.html
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This classic coin should certainly be included. Extensively sed in the 18th to 20th century as a trade coin in the Middle East and Africa and struck with the "frozen" date of 1780 (the year Empress Maria Theresia died). The specimen shown is a modern (20th century) restrike made at the Vienna Mint.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8964 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(I forgot about this one.)

1986-2017 (1780 restrike), Archduchy of Austria, 1 thaler:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of mine. Probably a mid-20th century restrike, as I know it's been in my collection since the early 1970s, maybe a bit earlier

Edited by tdziemia
09/17/2020 07:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks Paralyse, definitely 178something as I can make out an 8.

I am going with 1782. I think I can see that upper loop of a 2 next to the 8, but you should probably be able to tell better with it in hand.
The top of the 2 looked similar to the top of a 9 in the late 18th c. on these coins. Here is a 1772 2 r. from Mexico City showing this:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A more worn example

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9013 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love all of the MTT's and it's nice to see a couple of originals posted as well.

Another pickup point to look for is the brooch on the obverse: oval or rounded, and with or without pearls.

Note the lack of brooch pearls on erafjel's GŁnzburg coin.

As a trade coin which has been in use and circulation for 240 years, it's nice to see some other examples posted showing wear such as Arkie's, and not just the modern restrikes and proofs.

Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No silver for me today, but here is a Pfennig that may look somewhat familiar...

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Page: of 345 Previous TopicReplies: 5,172 / Views: 113,293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 7.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05