Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,342 / Views: 120,804Next Topic
Page: of 357
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9045 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1750 -- Prince-Bishopric of Liege, 1 liard:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9045 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1750 -- Kingdom of Portugal and the Algarves, 400 reis:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9054 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1750 AK copper 1/4 Stuber from the Duchy of Jülich-Berg: the weak strike is normal.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9054 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  12:36 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And getting back to Britain, here is a really rough 1750 halfpenny of George II.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7599 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  03:39 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An equally rough 1750 British shilling:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ferrara is a small, charming Italian city situated between the more famous cities of Bologna and Venice, near where the Po River empties into the Adriatic Sea. I spent some time there on business trips in the 1980s and 1990s.
In late medieval and Renaissance times, it was ruled by the Este family, who were contemporaries of more famous Italian dynasties like the Visconti and Sforza (Milan), Medici (Florence) and Gonzaga (Mantova), and equally active parons of the arts. From 1471 they reigned as dukes of Ferrara, until the last, Alfonso II died childless, and the duchy became a Papal State (another line of the Este family continued to rule in nearby Modena and Reggio).
From a numismatic viewpoint, there is first ducal coinage from the late 13th century until 1598, including some spectacular (and pricey!) large silver of the later dukes, and then typical Papal states coins starting in 1598. The last coins minted there were issued under Pope Benedict XIV, between 1740 and 1751.
As no coins were minted in the name of a Polish king during the 1740s, I have been working on filling in some of these dates with Ferrara coppers.
Here is a 1/2 baiocco (= 1/200 scudo) dated as regnal year X (August 1749-August 1750)

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1463 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably breaking rules here as I no longer own due to it being exposed as a fake

Kingdom of Great Britain, silver plated copper halfcrown forgery - probably contemporary to the era. There is a small chance this coin is genuine.

Originally I thought it was a bargain as it was cheap, but some people here and elesehwere had doubts and I realised it was too good to be true, it is much more coppery coloured in the flesh and the dealer had a reputation for making mistakes - so back it went.

This is the first and last time I will post a coin not present with me. But I did own it during the period this thread was running and the photo is mine.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/17/2020 11:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
17343 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another schilling from Hamburg (1750 AD):

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9045 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1749 -- Kingdom of Sweden, 1 ore:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7599 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   03:39 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A grotty, worn and porous British 1749 farthing:
Pillar of the Community
United States
2291 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops. A little late. I never got around duit.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A little late. I never got around duit.

I think you waited just so you could say that

1749 Brabant 1/2 Ducaton, Antwerp mint (another recent auction win, photos of auction house,as the coin is intransit).
A younger portrait of Maria Teresa than her more famous one. Maybe we will see a still younger one in copper in a few days?

I don't think we said much about her amidst the parade of 1780s thalers. She would be the only female leader of the Hapsburg empire, and despite being the only child of Charles VI , was not raised with an education that would have prepared her for the throne. Her accession on his death in 1740 triggered the war of the Austrian Succession, as Prussia and Bavaria contested her right to rule, and seized Hapsburg territory (notably Silesia). The dust only settled when Charles of Bavaria died paving the way for M-T's husband, Francis of Lorraine, to join her as emperor Francis I. Subsequent rulers are said to be of the House of Hapsburg-Lorraine
That marriage made an interesting connection in my collection: I collect Duchy of Lorraine and Duchy of Brabant. Francis was the last duke in the House of Lorraine, and since 1482 the Dukes/Duchesses of Brabant have come from the House of Hapsburg.

Edited by tdziemia
Yesterday 08:34 am
Learn More...
United States
17343 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Swedish Ore dated 1749 AD:

@tdz, that is a sweet Half Ducaton. Didja get it from Elsen?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2291 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Her accession on his death in 1740 triggered the war of the Austrian Succession, as Prussia and Bavaria contested her right to rule, and seized Hapsburg territory (notably Silesia).

Frederick might have been mad at having Austria prevent his marriage to the Princess Amelia, sister of Britain's George II. I've read that it was Eugene of Savoy who insisted the Austrian Emperor prevent the marriage. Instead Frederick had a wife chosen for him by Austria, a wife whom he despised.
Edited by Arkie
Yesterday 9:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9045 Posts
 Posted Today  17H 15M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1748 -- Duchy of Wurttemberg, 15 kreuzer:

Page: of 357 Previous TopicReplies: 5,342 / Views: 120,804Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05