Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 5,574 / Views: 135,376Next Topic
Page: of 372
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9154 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1748 -- Bishopric of Wurzburg, 5 kreuzer:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3988 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More nice German states!

Quote:
that is a sweet Half Ducaton. Didja get it from Elsen?

Yes. I was a busy boy in September, filling in my 1700s with Brabant and Papal States, though none has arrived yet. Also a few new medievals. As mentioned upthread, from 1750 back to 1680s, there were very few coins made at Polish mints in the name of the Polish sovereign.
Here is another Ferrara (Papal States) copper 1/2 baiocco bearing the dual dates 1748 and regnal year VIII:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9154 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1747 -- City of Rostock, 3 pfennig:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9154 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1747 -- Duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, 1 pfennig:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9154 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1747 -- Viceroyalty of New Spain, 8 reales:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7728 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  04:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1747 Sweden 1 ore:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3988 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice lineup already today! Swedish copper seems popular in this decade.
I have another Papal States-Ferrara copper, 1 baiocco dually dated 1747 and regnal year VIII. My third straight date using seller's photos because I've been working on my mid-18th century gaps (before I started, there were more gaps than coins ), so a number of purchases are in transit (or in this case, awaiting that famous Italian export certificate).

Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had in my mind that this was a 47. Here it is anyway.

Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 4 Kreutzer from the Austrian state of Salzburg dated 1747 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9154 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1746 -- Kingdom of Great Britain, 1 farthing:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9154 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1746 -- Kingdom of Sweden, 1 ore:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1642 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1746 was a crucial year in British History, it was the year the hopes of a Jacobite recapture of Great Britain and an end to Hanoverian royalty was quashed at Culloden Moor on April 16th.

The resulting fall out led to the Scottish diaspora, the renaissance and the Highland Clearances. There were wounds to the mortal soul of many Scottish people that have still not fully healed.

It was also the 2nd year of the famous Lima silver coins.

Here is my often seen Half crown of 1746 with the Lima mark

Expecting a flood of these pieces for the years 1745 and 1746 I decided to seek this myth of where the Lima silver is from.

The reality is that is Spanish silver from Lima Peru. There were no silver mines in Lima itself, but it was the nearest sea port to the Potosi mines in Bolivia, the Spanish had been mining silver from these mountains since the 1500s and had exploited thousands of Indigenous and Mestico workers since.

The myth is the British under Anson, sacked the sea near Lima and took a mountain of silver back to England. It seems now more likely this did not happen and the silver was seized off a French ship in the North Atlantic in 1745. The silver was believed to have been Spanish (The French and Spanish were allies at the time and against Great Britain), there was some 500,000 worth and one of the pieces of 8 seized had a Lima mintmark on it, hence the name.

http://www.mernick.org.uk/lnc/talks/lima.htm
More here.

In anyways the silver which was a mixture of bars, bullion, cobo de barra (Rough hammered coins) and properly made silver pesos was all melted down and made into Crowns, Halfcrowns, Shillings and Sixpences through 1745 and 1746.

My halfcrown is a well worn VG example and generally was a good buy for what I paid for it ($85NZD).

There was also a quantity of gold seized and this was made into 5 Guinea, 1 Guinea and guinea coins.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/21/2020 05:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7728 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  04:52 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another British 'Lima' coin to follow Princetane's nice halfcrown: this is a sixpence:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9154 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1745 -- Kingdom of Great Britain, 1 shilling:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7728 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1745 Great Britain 'Lima' halfcrown:
Page: of 372 Replies: 5,574 / Views: 135,376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05