Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 5,588 / Views: 135,890Next Topic
Page: of 373
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1737 -- Kingdom of Portugal and the Algarves, 5 reis:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1737 -- Kingdom of France, 1 ecu:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9091 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1737 - Russia - Denga (1/2 Kopek)
Empress Anna Ivanovna

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1736 -- Russian Empire, 1 polushka:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1736 -- Principality of Brunswick Wolfenbuttel, 4 mariengroschen:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Brunswick coin, and nice to see Russian copper again. For today I have this Saxony-Poland 1736 pfennig, Dresden mint. I think @paralyse posted one of these about 4 weeks ago). My only contribution between 1744 and 1730 when I will pick up again with fewer interruptions.
In this year, the monarch who reigned as Friedrich August II of Saxony, and as Augustus III of Poland-Lithuanian appointed the 51 year old Johann Sebastian Bach as court composer for both the Saxony and Poland courts (after some 3 years of pestering by Bach). While many of Bach's most famous works had been composed earlier in his life, the final parts of his Mass in B Minor were completed while in the employ of Augustus.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9091 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, that one looks very familiar :)

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1735 -- Russian Empire, 1 denga:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1735 -- Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt, 6 pfennig:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
1735 -- Electorate of Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hannover -- 1/6 thaler:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7737 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain 1735 farthing:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that not everyone is into the heraldry that appears on our coins, but @pepactonius' 1735 coin and mine from 1736 have something in common: they both bear a complicated coat of arms of a sovereign who is ruling two nation-states simultaneously.
That great 1/6 thaler of Bunswick-Luneberg-Calenberg-Hanover was issued by the same guy who is on the obverse of @numisrob's coin, George II. So, the coat of arms on the 1/6 thaler has emblems of both places. Using compass directions, the SW, NW and NE quadrants are the emblems of Great Britain: the harp of Ireland (SW), the 3 lions courant (running) of England an lion rampant (rearing) of Scotland in the NW, and the fleur-de-lis of France (NE). The SE quadrant contains 2 lions courant of Brunswick (upper left), a lion rampant for Luneberg (upper right), a horse for Hanover (lower left) and crown of CHarlemagne for treasurer of the Holy Roman Empire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg...14-1801).svg

Likewise, on the reverse of my 1 pfennig of 1736, we see the eagle and mounted rider for Poland-Lithuania in the 4 quadrants, surmounted in the center by the twofold shield of the elector of Saxony.

Edited by tdziemia
11/01/2020 06:55 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
487 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
not everyone is into the heraldry that appears on our coins

I'm one of those into it

That 1/6 thaler from Brunswick-Luneburg is indeed interesting (and beautiful). The use of the French fleur de lis on German coins is unusual, I think. I can only think of coins from Strasbourg (part of the German Holy Roman Empire until 1681), where a single fleur de lis appears (but as a symbol for the city itself, not of France). It is quite fascinating that a heraldic symbol with roots in English claims on the French throne during the Hundred Years' War, ended in 1453, spills over onto coins in Northern Germany several hundred years later.

Just a little more than a week before I can join again (with more fleur de lis coins ).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they both bear a complicated coat of arms of a sovereign who is ruling two nation-states simultaneously.
That great 1/6 thaler of Bunswick-Luneberg-Calenberg-Hanover was issued by the same guy who is on the obverse of @numisrob's coin, George II.

For 1717, I have a coin from Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hannover, which looks a lot like an English shilling or half crown, especially the reverse.

http://goccf.com/t/322163&whichpage=221#2959522
Page: of 373 Replies: 5,588 / Views: 135,890Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05