Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 5,908 / Views: 152,889Next Topic
Page: of 394
Learn More...
United States
18323 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My brother to @tdz's Liard for today:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1707 -- Hungarian Malcontents, 1 poltura:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1707 -- Royal Mint of Silesia, 3 kreuzer:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1707 -- Kingdom of Great Britain, 6 pence:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1707 Russia Denga

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4204 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins today!
1707 Saxony-Poland, 1/12 thaler (=2 groschen), Leipzig mint

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1706 -- Royal Mint of Silesia, 3 kreuzer:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1706 -- Archbishopric of Salzburg, 1 kreuzer:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2006 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love all these coins guys, these German principates and other polities are interesting. Paralyse love your description of the 1709 coin. I am watching big bang theory at the same time and that description reminds me of a Sheldon like rant (A really good thing).

Big hair and intrigues - don't you love the early 1700s. Really good to see that Russian denga too Keith12, just a few years into Peter the Great's modernisation drive (Russia was coming with him or else). One decade further back and its back to wire money.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4204 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1705 Saxony-Poland 1/24 thaler (=1 groschen), Dresden mint. (Having posted my last Lorraine and Ferrara coins for a while, I will be a "one trick pony" with these for most of rest of the decade).

Edited by tdziemia
12/01/2020 07:57 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3329 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One decade further back and its back to wire money.
Wire money actually lasted all the way into the mid-1710s. Some day I might try to assemble a date set of Peter I's post-1700 dated issues; most of them aren't rare (...not in Russia, at least), they're just tricky to find with readable dates, because the flans were so much tinier than the dies.
One decade further back and we'd actually run out of wire money for a while; there were, to the best of my knowledge, no dated wire money issues between 1612-ish and 1695-ish.

I wonder if we'd see any wire money here before I post an example on Sunday...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1705 -- Hungary Malcontents, 10 poltura:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4204 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The era of big hair is also the era of indecipherable legends. Those Silesian coins we've seen recently have pretty complicated abbreviations. The Saxony-Poland coins I have posted in this decade have this legend:
D G FRID AUG REX POL DUX SAX (flip the coin to reverse) SAC ROM IMP ARCHIM & ELECT

As best I can tell, this translates to "By the Grace of God, Friedrich Augustus, King of Poland, Duke of Saxony, Vicar and Elector of the Holy Roman Empire."

Quite a c.v.

And now I need to learn about the Hungarian Malcontents
Edited by tdziemia
12/01/2020 4:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2895 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damn, I misted this 6th edition!
I had some nie coins for the early years!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
549 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"By the Grace of God, Friedrich Augustus, King of Poland, Duke of Saxony, Vicar and Elector of the Holy Roman Empire."

Almost correct

ARCHIM expands to Archimarescallus, which translates to Arch-Marshal (not Vicar). Arch-Marshal was not a military title, it was a high ceremonial office at the Imperial Court, held by the Elector of Saxony.
Page: of 394 Replies: 5,908 / Views: 152,889Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05