Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,901 / Views: 152,523Next Topic
Page: of 394
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4195 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the correction.
From an earlier coin of @spence, in 1742, I learned that the Elector of Saxony also held the responsibility to act ad interim for administrative duties of the Holy Roman Emperor.

I guessed that this "vicariat" responsibility was part of the title, but I see this was not quite correct.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9121 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1705 2 Albus of Hesse-Darmstadt

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9380 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1704 -- Kingdom of Denmark, 8 skilling:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9380 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1704 -- Abbey of Corvey, 2 pfennig:

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3324 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Damn, I misted this 6th edition!
I had some nie coins for the early years!!
...I apologize? Admittedly, it's not like it was hidden or anything.

The rule is, edition X+1 starts when edition X catches up with edition X-1. So, when edition 5 got to 1461 (where 4 was stuck), edition 6 was opened immediately.

Edition 7 would consequently start when this one catches up to 5, i.e. either gets to 1461, or further if 5 progresses in the meantime. If we don't get another major participant unexpectedly disappeared on us, this should happen in about eight months, i.e. sometime around August 1, 2021 (give or take a few days).

There was a bit of confusion with this one because the changeover date was estimated at something like December 29, 2019, and it wasn't clear if the new edition should start with a 2019 coin or a 2020 coin. But some delays in the 15th century dates of the last edition moved the changeover into January 2020 anyway.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2001 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for you collectors of Australia and New Zealand we have started a similar thread for Australia and New Zealand coins.

We already back to ye older yeare of 2019 in that aunciente and enchanted era of pre covid 19.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
545 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
France 1704, écu, Louis XIV, Paris (A).

From the 4th restrike of coins, performed 1704-05. Many of the restruck coins had gone through one or more of the previous restrikes. This coin is apparently struck on a coin from the 2nd restrike - the obverse shows clear traces of that coin, even the year of that restrike, 169(9?), is quite clearly visible. And the reverse actually shows vague traces from the host coin for the 2nd restrike (contours of a smaller circle in the mid circle, fleur de lis between the dittos of the current strike, plus some of the inscription). That host coin belongs to the 1st restrike, performed 1690-93, and it is more likely than not* that there is an even earlier original host coin (of which no traces remain). So, a coin having gone through at least two, and probably three, restrikes!

* The 1690-93 issue was primarily restrikes on old coins, but some coins were minted on new flans.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4195 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing history in that coin!

Another Saxony-Poland, 1704 1/12 thaler, Dresden mint. Maybe similar to a coin posted by @pepactonius a week or two ago, I am not sure what happened to the surface of this coin. The devices seem pretty well struck, but there is some roughness (rather than smooth wear) on the high points in some areas. It also looks cleaned.. I wonder if it was by some chemical agent that removed some metal on the high points

Edited by tdziemia
12/02/2020 07:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3324 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Amazing history in that coin!

I'm reminded of a possibly-even-more-amazing-history French coin with lots of restrikes that showed up on CCF in 2015. I wonder what happened to that one...
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Damn, I misted this 6th edition! I had some nie coins for the early years!!
Sorry about that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice coins!

This is a 1704 K-B Duarius (2 Duarius=3 Denar) under King Leopold I.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9380 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1703 -- Bishopric of Munster, 4 pfennig:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9380 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1703 -- Electorate of Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hannover, 12 mariengroschen:

Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins are AMAZING, I can't believe how fare back we've gone!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7954 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  04:38 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
English sixpence - 1703:

'VIGO' below the bust indicates that the coin was struck from silver captured from the Spanish treasure fleet at Vigo Bay in 1702. The engraved 'N' on the reverse is PMD!
Edited by NumisRob
12/03/2020 04:41 am
Page: of 394 Previous TopicReplies: 5,901 / Views: 152,523Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05