Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5,903 / Views: 152,579Next Topic
Page: of 394
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@eddiediz, great to see you here. Hope you'll be in the thick of things for the next 250 years!

1703 Saxony-Poland 3 pfennig, Dresden mint

Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to post new coins I have received since the last edition unless we get stuck.

1703 K-B Hungarian Duarius (2Duarius=3 Denar).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9121 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1703 4 Kreuzer (Batzen) from Württemberg in Germany.

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1702-1703 -- Mughal Empire, 1 rupee:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1702 -- Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt, 1 albus:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
1702 -- Republic of United Netherlands / Holland, 1 duit:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall that 1c5d explained the symbolism of this scene that shows up on coins of Holland, but the synapses are failing me this morning.
Poland, 1702 szostak (6 groschen).

Learn More...
United States
18312 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 2 Mariengroschen from the German State of Brunswick-Lunenburg-Calenburg-Hannover dated 1702 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9121 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always nice to see a good Mariengroschen about and Spence's is really nice!

The oddly-named denomination is a result of the first coins struck in Goslar in 1505, which featured a rather unusual "standing Madonna" design, where Mary is standing, crowned robed, holding the infant Jesus in her left arm and enwreathed by squiggly lines intended to depict flames or the "heavenly radiance" of the sun. The legend, "MARIA MAT GRACIE" is an abbreviated Latin form of "Mary, Mother of Grace" or "Mary, Gracious Mother" (Maria Mater Gratiae.) Originally struck to a fairly high standard of purity, they were rapidly debased and devalued, losing 75% of their intrinsic value in less than 100 years.

Later Mariengroschen after the 17th c. lost the Madonna imagery (which was used in different motifs on other coins of Goslar, and later more famously Bavaria and Würzburg, to name a couple) and featured instead e.g. the leaping horse of Braunschweig or Hanover, or the Wildman of Braunschweig.

The various Mariengroschen denominations (from a tiny 1/48 Mariengroschen to the largest 24 Mariengroschen i.e. 2/3 Hanover thaler) were minted in one form or another up until 1821 (with a token Braunschweig issue to 1834) by the various cities, free states, principalities, and dukedoms in what would now be the German states of Niedersachsen and Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Oddly enough, I don't know of any full Thaler equivalent Mariengroschen coins ever being struck (such a hypothetical coin would have theoretically been denominated as 36 Mariengroschen.) If anyone knows of one, please share!
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very grateful for that history @paralyse.

First, add the German bishopric of Hildesheim to that list of places that actually had an image of Mary on their Mariengroschen... I have one for 1687 with exactly the imagery you've described. But maybe someone else will get there before me.

I've not yet done the required research, but I guess the places you mention that retained the Madonna on their coins were the pats of Germany that remained Roman Catholic after the Reformation?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1701 -- Royal Mint of Silesia, 3 kreuzer:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1701 -- Kingdom of England, 3 pence:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1701 Silesia, 3 kreuzer:

This is our first coin on the thread with Holy Roman Emperor Leopold. We've got 40 more years of his reign, and I'm sure we will see a LOT more of him here well into January, as high grade coins of his are quite attainable .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1700-1709 -- Republic of Venice, 1 zecchino:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9381 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1700 -- Kingdom of Hungary, 1 poltura:

Page: of 394 Previous TopicReplies: 5,903 / Views: 152,579Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05