Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,240 / Views: 181,791Next Topic
Page: of 416
Learn More...
United States
18930 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More Siggy from me for today. Here is a Polish 6 Groshen (Krackow mint) dated 1626 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4581 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As far as fashion goes, seems the French are ahead of the Poles, Habsburgs and everyone else in the late 1620s.

There are SO many things to learn from our coins, and I think the "How Far Back..." thread is an especially good venue for observing all kinds of things like this.
In addition to the personal grooming angle (hair/moustache/beard), I have wondered about the royal headgear choices (crown vs. laurel wreath). In recent days, Louis XIII is laurate on those doubles tournois through the 1630s, as is Ferdinand on the Hapsburg coins. In Poland, Jan Casimir is both laureate and crowned (1650s-1660s), but Sigismund is only crowned. In Lorraine, the dukes wear crowns through the mid-1500s, but are bareheaded thereafter. (I'm less familiar with British issues during this timeframe).
I know the laurel crown harkens back to Roman representations, but it's not clear to me why some sovereigns used it, and others not.

Edited by tdziemia
02/19/2021 07:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4581 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Polish 6 Groshen (Krakow mint) dated 1626

I've always been struck by the cartoonish character of this portrait of Sigismund (disproportionately large eyes, etc) and wonder what was going on at the Krakow mint starting in the mid-1620s. Maybe the chief engraver died, and his apprentice wasn't up to the task? We will see 1 and 3 groschen coins minted in Krakow from 1600 to 1623 with more normal busts of the king.

1625 Duchy of Lorraine teston of Charles and Nicole

Edited by tdziemia
02/19/2021 07:51 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
poland---1625

Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane is bringing some added value to the topic!
Learn More...
United States
18930 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree @tdz, that some of these Siggy portraits include odd bug-eyes.

For today, here is a burly 1 Ore from Sweden (Sater and Nykoping mint) dated 1626 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4581 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mikev, that's quite a nice example of the type, evenly struck (many have weak spots).
Here is my Polish coin for 1625, another 18 groschen from the Gdansk mint:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4581 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1624 Poland 18 groschen, Bydgoszcz mint. Same mint and portrait as @jgenn's lovely 1628 thaler, but a common coin worth only about 3% as much.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
651 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here is a burly 1 Ore from Sweden (Sater and Nykoping mint) dated 1626 AD

An interesting coin, @Spence! It is made with a rolling mill, a technique used in Sweden from 1625 and onwards (some experimentation had been done in the 1570s, but this 1 öre belongs to the first coins for which the technique was used regularly). The same type of coins were minted in both Säter and Nyköping. Based on the shape of the crowns, your coin can be attributed to Säter. Säter was (and is ) a small municipality in the county of Dalarna, and the reason for minting copper coins there was the proximity to Falu copper mine.

@tdziemia, your Lorraine coins always makes me consider extending my area of collection to that region .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4581 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
your Lorraine coins always makes me consider extending my area of collection to that region

The Charles III (1545-1608) and Charles IV portrait coins come up frequently at auction for prices that are pretty reasonable
Pillar of the Community
United States
970 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1624 P-P Hungarian Denar under King Ferdinand II.

Learn More...
United States
18930 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Based on the shape of the crowns, your coin can be attributed to Säter.

Duly noted--thx for the information! Looks like Säter is only a couple hours North of Stockholm. I haven't made it down that far South into Sweden, but hopefully will someday.

This 3 Groshen from Poland is even smaller than @tdz's coin for today, although mine was minted in Krackow.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3059 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1623 Poland- Danzig Ort

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4581 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
And me too (maybe even an obverse die match?). I'm curious what grade yours has?

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3452 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(maybe even an obverse die match?)
Full die match, I'd say - die cracks/chips and/or rust spots match on both sides. (Except inside the 6, where only @tdziemia's coin seems to have the chip.)
Page: of 416 Previous TopicReplies: 6,240 / Views: 181,791Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 7.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05