Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,240 / Views: 181,787Next Topic
Page: of 416
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4580 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1620, a slightly crumpled Lithuanian 2 denar

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3452 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1620, a slightly crumpled Lithuanian 2 denar
Neat! Not exactly a denomination one sees very often...

I've got a 3 denar coming up in a few days (if I don't forget) and IIRC that's even rarer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4580 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've got a 3 denar...

I remembered that you had one from the Lobsenz mint, and was thinking it was in the 1620s ... looking forward to seeing it.

In the meantime, I also have a 1620 solidus from the Riga mint, since we haven't seen one of these yet for Sigismund's reign. That makes the 7th denomination for this reign (thaler, then 18, 6, 3, 1.5 groschen (dreipolker), solidus (=1/3 groschens), 2 denar (=1/9 groschen).
I think we will get up to 10 denominations by the time we reach 1600.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3452 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that you had one from the Lobsenz mint
Don't recall that? No, mine's the normal type, apparently attributed to Poznan (thus on Numista in particular) or occasionally to Krakow. Kopicki 582.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4580 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. Will be waiting

1619 Poland 3 groschen, older brother to the coins @spence posted in the 1620s:

Edited by tdziemia
02/25/2021 08:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4580 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1618 Spanish Netherlands / Duchy of Brabant ducaton.
I love the lion on the reverse, whose expression seems to be saying "I've been holding this shield for 400 years now ... can someone please give me a break?"

Edited by tdziemia
02/26/2021 07:25 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3059 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1618 Lithuania Shilling ( at least thats what the slab says)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4580 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK ... this is getting strange. First pepactonius disappears, and now spence.
Alien abduction?
Better offer from some other coin forum?

1617 Livonian solidus (as part of Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3059 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1617 Netherlands (West Friesland) Loin Daalder

Pillar of the Community
United States
2374 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
loin daalder

Does that mean you have to carry them in your codpiece?
Learn More...
United States
18930 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
First pepactonius disappears, and now spence.

Dang work/life balance all out of whack the past week or so.

Here is my 1/24 Thaler from the German Duchy of Pomerania (Stettin mint) dated 1617 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3452 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've got a 3 denar coming up in a few days (if I don't forget)
As promised...

Poland, Sigismund III, ternar/trzeciak (3 denars), 1616.
Various references claim Poznan or Krakow mint.

Kopicki 582, Numista 96636 but lumped there with several other types.
Not in Krause as far as I'm aware - perhaps my only such coin in the period covered by Krause.

14x13 mm, 0.32 g (according to my earlier post on it).
Apparently (according to the same post) it's supposed to be larger, heavier, and in better silver.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4580 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely daalder , and @arkie gets one of these

@j1m, two comments on the trzeciak. First, that date must be pretty rare because I could not find a sale record either in the WCN archive (which goes back over 15 years), or on OneBid. It seems the recent thinking is that this type was minted in Poznan, and that Kopicki was incorrect for reasons elaborated here by Marciniak (online Polish-English translator works pretty well except it doesn't understand the coin denomination): https://onebid.pl/en/auction/523/lo...dny-i-rzadki

1616 Livonian 1/24 thaler = 1 groschen. Another confusing coin because it resembles the Polish "dreipolker/poltorak" which was valued at 1 1/2 groschen at the same time. But the reverse legend says this is a silver groschen of the City of Riga. Krause calls it a groschen, but Numista calls it a 1 1/2 grossus.

Edited by tdziemia
02/28/2021 08:01 am
Learn More...
United States
18930 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like we are pretty tightly clustered geographically today, considering I've got this well-worn Livonian Schilling (Riga mint) dated 1616 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1615 german thaler----

Edited by mikev50
03/01/2021 02:08 am
Page: of 416 Previous TopicReplies: 6,240 / Views: 181,787Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 9.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05