Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,233 / Views: 181,050Next Topic
Page: of 416
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
651 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
France 1611, double tournois, Paris (A).

"Buste enfantin" - "Childish bust" - is this portrait called in French numismatics. Louis XIII became king in 1610, only 8 years old, after his father, Henry IV, had been assassinated by a Catholic fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buste enfantin

Sometimes our coins are almost as good as an art museum where we can see portraits of the powerful throughout their lives

Poland 1611 1 groschen. I am not sure what the diemaker was thinking when he used a combination of numerals (1) and letters (I) for the date.

Edited by tdziemia
03/05/2021 07:26 am
Learn More...
United States
18892 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
he used a combination of numerals (1) and letters (I) for the date.

Yes a very interesting topic to me. I'm working on a manuscript for the next KOINION on this very subject.

For today, I have this Spanish Half Real (Barcelone mint) dated 1611 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen Spain in a while.
1610 Poland 1 groschen Krakow mint

Learn More...
United States
18892 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah good, we have made it back to 1610 AD. This will be my last large-size silver coin to post on this thread I think (and among my first, but that is another conversation).

Here is a Thaler from the German County of Saxe-Weimar:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't wait, we are closing in on where I have 3 coins to post..

Edit: Well 5 if we get all the way to 1272..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Edited by Dearborn
03/06/2021 7:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
closing in on where I have 3 coins to post..

@dearborn looking forward to seeing them!

Quote:
This will be my last large-size silver coin to post on this thread I think (and among my first, but that is another conversation)

Aw, c'mon ... don't leave us hanging...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
651 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1609 liard, Principality of Arches and Charleville/Duchy of Nevers and Rethel.

The Principality of Arches and Charleville is the first French feudal state to issue copper liards (3 deniers), surely inspired by the liards of nearby Liège and Spanish Netherlands.

Charles I Gonzaga was Duke of Nevers and Rethel (two small duchies in central and northern France) as well as Prince of the in 1608 established Principality of Arches and its at the same time founded capital Charleville. All titles listed on this not too large coin .
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well 5 if we get all the way to 1272..
I sure hope so!

I have a few entries for the 14th century but nothing for the 15th (yet - there's one coin I should probably post for ID that seems likely to be a dated 15th century issue).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Charles I Gonzaga was Duke of Nevers and Rethel ... as well as Prince of the in 1608 established Principality of Arches

...and (edit: from 1627) Duke of Mantova (Italy) which the Gonzaga family ruled through the Renaissance and into modern times.
It was quite a powerful and well-connected family. With the forceful urging of Louis XIII, Charles' daughter, Marie Louise, married King Jan Kasimir of Poland (who was on a lot of the coins posted here in the 1660s), and is acknowledged to have been one of the most powerful women in the history of Poland.Her death in 1667 is believed to have contributed to Jan Kasimir's abdication the following year.

CHarles' father's cousin was Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, after whom numerous schools and one university in the U.S. are named.

1609 Livonia solidus:

Edited by tdziemia
03/07/2021 5:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
18892 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey I've got a Double Tournois of Charles I Gonzaga for today!

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
651 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hey I've got a Double Tournois of Charles I Gonzaga for today!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4565 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1608 Lithuanian 1 groschen of the Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth.

Edited by tdziemia
03/08/2021 07:06 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2458 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is anyone thinking that we should start Edition 7 soon.

For those of us with out piles of European silver coins from 400 years ago, it's hard to watch.
Part of the reason why I started the Antipodean spin off (Now in the more recent and coin filled year of 1924).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
18892 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is anyone thinking that we should start Edition 7 soon.

Well, typically we don't start a new thread until the current one catches up to the old one. However, unless we find a replacement for @louie, I'm not sure that we will catch the 5th edition. I'm sure @jbuck is prepared for this eventuality...

For today, I have another French Double Tournois (Lyon mint) with some severe pitting on the obv, but a quite pleasant rev.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 416 Previous TopicReplies: 6,233 / Views: 181,050Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05