Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,232 / Views: 180,829Next Topic
Page: of 416
Learn More...
United States
18885 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super condition on that Schilling @tdz!

Here is a Franc from Navarre-Bearn dated 1582 AD. Despite the rather aggressive edge trimming, this is one of my biggest 16th Century silver coins at 32 mm and 13.7 g.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1581 1 groschen of Polish Livonia (in transit ... auction house photos)

We have been showing his coins for a few days, but not commenting on the history.
In 1574, Poland-Lithuania experienced a succession crisis when Henry Valois of France, who had been elected King of Poland in 1573, ascended the throne of France when his father died, and abandoned the Polish throne (@erafjel's post for 1584).
After a hotly contested election process, Stephen Bathory of Hungary was elected the next king, over Maximilian II Hapsburg, who was favored by some influential factions in the Polish clergy and nobility. Bathory cemented his position by marrying Anna Jagionella, the sister of the deceased Sigismund II of Poland-Lithuania.
The city of Gdansk refused to acknowledge the outcome, and revolted, eventually succumbing in late 1577.
Meanwhile, Bathory pursued the longstanding Livonian War against Ivan the Terrible, who had designs on having a Russian port on the Baltic. Here, too, Poland-Lithuania and its allies were victorious, with the terms of the peace giving Poland-Lithuania sovereignity over Courland and southern Livonia, and Sweden northern Livonia (Swedish Estonia).

From a numismatic viewpoint, we have coins minted in Riga under the authority of a Polish sovereign starting in 1581 with 1 and 3 groschen coins like this one. This would be a short-lived situation, with Sweden taking control of this part of Livonia just 45 years later, as a consequence of the 30 Years' War.

Edited by tdziemia
04/04/2021 07:23 am
Learn More...
United States
18885 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love that old museum cataloging number inked on the rev @tdz!

Here is a Kreuzer from the Austrian Duchy of Styria dated 1581 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
650 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Navarre/Béarn 1580, 1 franc, Henry II/III, Pau mint.

Henry III of Navarre, also Lord Henry II of Béarn, and future king Henry IV of France, here in his twenties.

Don't miss the little cow below his bust, the symbol for Béarn. Look carefully and you can see the lion face on his shoulder (there just to make him look cool)!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some very nice portraits (Charles and Henrys). I will also comment that we continue back in time with the ruffed collar, though it is a smaller version in the early 1580s than when we started in the 1630s.

1580 Lithuanian trojak of Stefan Batory

Edited by tdziemia
04/05/2021 07:05 am
Learn More...
United States
18885 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Half Öre from Sweden dated 1580 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
650 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Polish silver and Swedish half öre - nice

Here is some French copper:

France 1579, 1 denier, Henry III, Paris (A).

1575 is the start year for French coins made of copper only, with denominations 1 and 2 deniers. They are also the first coins with inscriptions throughout in French, instead of Latin, as well as the first coins with the denomination written on them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More nice numismatic history! I think the first Polish coins with legends in Polish date only to the late 1700s.

1579 Poland 1 groschen, Gdansk (Danzig) mint.

Learn More...
United States
18885 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is copper too, but from Maastrict Belgium. I believe that it this is siege coinage issued under the assault by Alexander Farnese. Here is an excerpt from wikipedia on this seige:

Quote:
As soon as he had secured a base of operations in Hainaut and Artois, Farnese set himself in earnest to the task of reconquering Brabant and Flanders by force of arms, beginning with Maastricht. Farnese commenced the Siege of Maastricht on 12 March 1579. He ordered his troops to sap the walls. The inhabitants of Maastricht too were digging to reach the Spanish tunnels. Deep underground the fighting continued, hundreds of Spanish soldiers died as boiling oil was poured into their tunnels. Others died because of a lack of oxygen when the Dutch defenders ignited fires within them. Another 500 Spanish soldiers died when a mine, which they planned to use to blow up the wall, exploded prematurely.[9]

In the night of 29 June, Farnese managed to get into the city while the exhausted defenders were asleep. Since the city had not surrendered after the walls had been breached, 16th-century law of war gave the victors the right to loot the conquered city. The Spanish looted the city for three days during which time many civilians lost their lives. The looting was particularly violent, perhaps because Farnese was in bed with fever during those three days.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We are missing @1c5d this time through, who gave that great history on the turbulence in this part of the world along with the coins and tokens he posted in the 5th edition. I was fascinated to learn about that struggle for independence that pre-dated ours in America by 200 years.

Another 1 groschen of Stephen Bathory, Gdansk mint, 1578

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8334 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1578 English sixpence (8 over 7):
Edited by NumisRob
04/07/2021 07:37 am
Learn More...
United States
18885 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We are missing @1c5d this time

Agreed--he had some real eye candy to post plus really interesting historical perspectives to add.

For today, I have this little 2 Kreuzer from the German Countship of Pfalz-Simmern dated 1578 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3451 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We are missing @1c5d this time
I've been wondering why we've seen so few Dutch coins here lately!
(And this in turn reminded me that I had an unattributed 1570s Dutch coin sitting around; posted it for ID in the ancients forum just in case.)

It honestly looks like it's mostly @tdziemia and @Spence pulling us through, with only occasional entries by others. The pre-1506 range will be tough. (I sadly have a huge gap after the 1510s.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The pre-1506 range will be tough.

Agree. I think there is a good chance we will not catch up to the previous edition unless we get some "reinforcements."

Republic of Venice 40 soldi, Doge Sebastiano Venier. Venier was elected doge in June 1577 at about 80 years old (his birth date is not known), and died less than 8 months later. HM in the exergue obverse are the initials of mintmaster Gerolamo Morosini, who took office in May 1577, and was succeeded in September, so the coin can be dated to 1577.
Venier was quite a "late bloomer," becoming a naval war hero at the age of 73 after leading the Venetian fleet to victory over the Ottoman navy at the Battle of Lepanto (1570). (Philip II of Spain, who we will see soon enough, helped finance the Venetian navy). Venier's portrait, by Tintoretto (note the oar-powered vessels in the background):

Edited by tdziemia
04/08/2021 09:54 am
Learn More...
United States
18885 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a super coin to post @tdz! For me, I have another 2 Kreuzer, but this one is from 1577 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 416 Previous TopicReplies: 6,232 / Views: 180,829Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05