Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,322 / Views: 190,877Next Topic
Page: of 422
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1576 France 1/2 franc, Paris mint.

Learn More...
United States
19236 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 2 Pfennig from the Austrian State of Salzburg dated 1576 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Netherlands
111 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver Lion Dollar (Leeuwendaalder) of 1567 with the Dutch lion. Introduced by the province of Holland during the uprising against Philip II: The war for independence of the United Provices. Official weight was 27,68 g and fineness of 0.750. The rate at introduction was 32 stivers, about 10% above the intrinsic value. The difference was used to finance the war.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely!

1575 France teston, Paris mint.

Learn More...
United States
19236 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beaut @eligius! For me, I have another uniface 2 Pfennig from Salzburg:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3465 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat coins, everyone!
Quote:
For me, I have another uniface 2 Pfennig from Salzburg
I have a uniface Salzburg 2 pfennig too, but it's not due to be shown in this thread for about two more months (...by which point I hope I will remember to take a photo).

Meanwhile, it seems that this coin had been conclusively-ish attributed to 1575, so I feel comfortable enough posting it here for today...

Spanish Netherlands, Philip II
Province of Holland, oord (double duit)
Cf. Numista 28280; not sure of the actual attribution

Obverse: PHILIP:D:G:COMES.HOLL[A]: 157[5]
Reverse: AVX.NO[S]T.IN[.]NOM[.DO]M

At only 4.74 grams it seems to be severely underweight for the type; I'm not sure why. In that kind of condition (especially without a legible date) I wouldn't expect a modern counterfeit. Maybe there was something wrong with the planchet.

[EDIT: fixed minor typo]
Edited by january1may
04/10/2021 08:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
980 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1575 K-B Hungarian Denar

1575 H-S Hungarian Denar

Learn More...
United States
19236 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great sampling of coins posted yesterday--keep 'em coming!

Here is a Groschen from the German Free City of Hildesheim dated 1574 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! I remember @pepactonius commenting upthread that he also had something well into the 16th c. from Hildesheim.

Here is the guy the Dutch found so revolting in the 1570s (referring to recent Holland coins of @spence, @eligius and @j1m).
1574 Spanish Netherlands/Brabant, 1/2 Philipsdaalder (Demi-ecu philippe), Antwerp mint

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
682 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are really many nice coins here (I especially like that French teston, @tdziemia, and the beautiful Leeuwendaalder, @Eligius). I cannot contribute that much in this century, but for today I do have coin - a Swedish coin, for a change.

Sweden 1573, 2 öre, John III, Stockholm.

John III became king in 1568 after having deposed his impopular and mentally unstable elder brother Erik XIV. Before that, John had been held captive by his brother, accused of treason because of his marriage to the Polish princess Catherine Jagiellon, whose brother Sigismund II of Poland Erik was at war with. Now it was Erik's turn to be imprisoned. He died after a few years (rumor has it that John had him poisoned). John's and Catherine's son Sigismund eventually became king of Poland and Lithuania, as we have seen on coins here.

Will be out for another 20 years now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meantime, on the other side of the Baltic Sea ...
Sigismund II had died childless in 1572, the last male ruler of the Jagiello dynasty (his other sister, Anna, would later marry Stefan Batory and reign as queen while Batory was king).
But Sigismund had left as his legacy a new political entity, the elective monarchy of the new Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (previously Poland and Lithuania were ruled jointly in a "personal union" under the Jagiello kings).

There was a nearly year long intrerregnum between SIgismund's death and the election of Henry III of France to the Polish-Lithuanian throne in mid-1573. The 1573 interregnum coinage of Gdansk was the only standard circulating coinage issued between 1570 and 1578 in Polish parts of the Commonwealth (there are also some Courland issues, and siege money from Gdansk in 1577).

1573 Poland, 1 denar interregnum issue, Gdansk mint.

Learn More...
United States
19236 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Groschen from the German Electorate of Saxony-Albertine dated 1573 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1572 Spanish Netherlands/Brabant, philipsdaalder (ecu Philippe), Antwerp mint

Learn More...
United States
19236 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Groschen from the German Duchy of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel dated 1572 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1571 Austrian Netherlands/Brabant 1/5 philipsdaalder, Antwerp mint.

Page: of 422 Previous TopicReplies: 6,322 / Views: 190,877Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05