Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,311 / Views: 190,053Next Topic
Page: of 421
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3463 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a Groschen from the German Duchy of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel dated 1572 AD
Neat coin!

What's that next to the denomination orb, though? A wildman? I can't quite tell. It must be pretty rare to have anything in that space, though.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1571-elizabeth 1-she is worn off-but still a 450 year old coin-

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's that next to the denomination orb, though? A wildman?

You have good eyes; I hadn't noticed that.

On Elizabeth (a sixpence?) ... She was the sister-in-law of Philip (my coin today) from 1554-1558, while Philip was the husband of Queen Mary Tudor of England.

Can't tell your European royals without a scorecard
Edited by tdziemia
04/14/2021 3:01 pm
Learn More...
United States
19182 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree very sharp eyes @j1m. I think that you are right that there is wildman standing next to the imperial orb. I'll have to dredge up the wildman thread and add this one.

For today, I have a 1/84 Gulden from the German Free City of Nuerenberg dated 1571 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8513 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  03:24 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1570 English sixpence:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see English coins again (though I guess for just a couple more weeks?), and I love the 1/84 denomination from yesterday.
1570 Lithuanian 2 denar under Sigismund II Augustus. Sigismund ruled as sole King of Poland-Lithuania from 1548 until his death in 1572, but 1570 was the last year that circulating coins were minted. On the other hand, he co-ruled with his father before 1548, so we have an interesting situation of Polish-Lithuanian coins minted in 1545-1547 under the name of each ruler (i.e., coins minted in Krakow in the name of Sigismund I and in Vilnius in the name of Sigismund Augustus).

Edited by tdziemia
04/15/2021 08:31 am
Learn More...
United States
19182 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Swedish 1 Öre that is dated 1570 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1569 Lithuanian czworak (4 groschen) of Poland-Lithuania.
In his 1573 post, @erafjel explained the relationship between Sigismund II (this coin) and John III of Sweden (@spence's coin in previous post).

It seems very long beards were the fashion for royals in this part of Europe during this era, and that John of Sweden would likely have won any contest:

Learn More...
United States
19182 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet beard!

Here is a Groschen from the Swiss Canton of St. Gall dated 1568 AD. A small oddity with this coin is what I believe to be the minter's mark after the date on the obv. It looks a whole lot like the modern symbol for cents. The full inscription reads MO NO CI SAN GALLEN 68 ˘.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! And who doesn't love a coin with a bear on it (I got a St. Gallen from 1774 after we had passed that date)

I have another Lithuanian 4 groschen for 1568, same bust of Sigismund II with his forked beard.

Edited by tdziemia
04/18/2021 08:22 am
Learn More...
United States
19182 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This small, uniface Pfennig is from the German Archbishopric of Mainz and is dated 1567 AD. It was issued by Daniel Brendel von Hamburg and is attributed as Saurma 2526.

Random factoid of the day (thanks to google-info and wikipedia):
Daniel Brendel's chef, Marx Rumpolt, published the famous cookbook "Ein new Kochbuch" in 1581. This was the first cookbook for professional chefs. Here is an image of the title page:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have another small Lithuanian 2 denar coin for 1567 (photo taken for the "Post Your Tiny Coins" thread)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8513 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  03:30 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia - that 1567 Lithuanian 2 denars looks very modern, reminiscent of quite a few 20th-century Scandinavian coins and the Belgian 25 centimes of the 1960s and 1970s!

Back to 1566 with a well-worn English sixpence:
Learn More...
United States
19182 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Groschen from the German Electorate of Saxony-Albertine dated 1566 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lithuanian 2 denars ..., reminiscent of quite a few 20th-century Scandinavian coins and the Belgian 25 centimes of the 1960s and 1970s!

Wow! Absolutely, though I never made that connection (crowned monogram)
Love that ornate Saxony groschen, which I think we will see intermittently for the next 100 years.

This 1566 Lithuanian groschen is the last portrait coin of SIgismund II I have for the next 20 years, though I am sure we will see just a few of his rider/eagle half groats in the meantime,

Page: of 421 Previous TopicReplies: 6,311 / Views: 190,053Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05