Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,322 / Views: 190,774Next Topic
Page: of 422
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3464 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat coins everyone!

I sadly don't have any 16th century English coins. I'd like to get some, but IIRC they are very expensive.

My entry for 1566, meanwhile, is a sad example of "the one that got away"...

Sweden, Erik XIV, 1/2 ore, 1566. Numista 31345.

I bought this coin for 150 rubles at Izmaylovo Vernisage several years ago. The seller had a bin full of broken examples like this one for 150 each, and a bin full of intact examples for 250 each. I was running out of money and bought a broken one.

At home I realized how rare the type was, and hurried to find that seller again at first opportunity, but for a few weeks I was unable to find them, and when I finally found them they no longer had those coins.

I've never seen that type (or any other Erik XIV coin, for that matter) offered again, not even for ten times that money.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
681 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins, everyone!

Quote:
that 1567 Lithuanian 2 denars looks very modern, reminiscent of quite a few 20th-century Scandinavian coins

Indeed! I didn't think of that either . I couldn't help placing a Swedish 10 öre from 400 years later next to the Lithuanian 2 denar - same design, even same size
Learn More...
United States
19229 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@j1m, if I'm doing the converting correctly, then it sounds like you paid about $2 USD for that coin, which I would call a pretty impressive achievement! Well done.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3464 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if I'm doing the converting correctly, then it sounds like you paid about $2 USD for that coin
Indeed $2 by modern (2015-present) exchange rates, though at the time it might have been closer to $3 (if 2014) or $5 (if 2013 or 2012). Still probably quite cheap.

Though this doesn't stop the sadness of missing out of a surely much more valuable intact example for not much less cheap.
(In particular, perhaps the most interesting feature of this type - the Arabic regnal numeral - is chipped away on my example.)

As a side-note, apparently I have a coin from 1568 that I forgot to post? Ugh.
I think I even know which coin it was, but for some reason I thought it was from the 1580s or 1590s, so I assumed I missed its place long ago and didn't bother to look for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
apparently I have a coin from 1568 that I forgot to post?

If you do it quickly enough, jbuck might not notice.
And if he does, well ... I think many of us will stand up as character witnesses.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8541 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  03:54 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1565 English sixpence. I bought this for £1 from a stall at my local market when I was a kid. It was my oldest dated coin until very recently:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat memory! I think my earliest dated coin for a long time was one of those Sigismund III 1/4 thalers, well worn and holed, 1622. I didn't really get the bug for medieval and early modern world coins until I was in my 40s, and began travelling to Europe for work.

1565 Lithuanian half groschen (polgrosz). This type was used by four monarchs of Poland-Lithuania between 1492 (undated) and 1565 and due to its availability at modest price in many dates, is a favorite of OFEY collectors

Edited by tdziemia
04/20/2021 07:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3464 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I had any other 16th century dated coins when I got my 1521 Salzburg pfennig (apparently in February 2013). If I did, they would probably have been wire money from the late 1590s. I know I would have had some 17th century coins by then though.

Shortly afterwards I bought another Salzburg coin, a zweier (2 pfennig) dated 1517 (no pics yet, IIRC, but I found it again today and will probably try to take some); this would probably have remained my oldest dated coin until I got some dated 6th/7th century Byzantines.

...hold on, I actually have a catalog of my collection that I wrote down in May 2013; at the time it listed about 350 coins (I forgot the exact number, and the second page with coins 302+ had been missing for several years), and included a separate table of dates (I must have already hit on the OFEY idea by then).

It doesn't list the 1517 zweier, so I probably didn't have it yet. The listed pre-1700 dates are 1521, 1599, 1615, 1622, 1626, 1645, 1651, 1666, 1680, and 1699; the 1599, 1615, 1622, and 1645 coins have already been posted in this thread.
The coin listed under 1680 in the date table is number 304 in the catalog, so I can't actually tell what it was (and don't seem to remember). I have a fairly good idea what the 1626 was, but I hadn't seen the coin itself for many years. The 1651 and 1699 coins are quite interesting but, IIRC, have no pics yet. I'm not sure if I could find the exact 1666 coin, but by now I have multiple coins of this date.
Learn More...
United States
19229 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Soldo from the Italian House of Savoy dated 1565 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
19229 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My other coin from 1565 AD is this Hungarian Denar. You will definitely be seeing more of these for the rest of the Spring and into the Summer.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9141 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  02:16 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A uniface pfennig from the Swiss canton of St. Gallen, ca. 1565-1566, but no date. These are known as Schüsselpfennige ("bowl pennies") within the larger Brakteat (bracteate) class of stamped uniface thin metal coins.

Ref HMZ 2-893b
Approx 13mm and less than 0.25g

The image is that of a bear facing left (rampant.)

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8541 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  05:52 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1564 sixpence from Elizabethan England that has seen better days...
Edited by NumisRob
04/21/2021 08:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1565 denar is a real beauty.
1564 Lithuanian trojak (3 groschen).

Learn More...
United States
19229 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Swiss Pfennig @paralyse!

Here is a Half Batzen from the German County of Stolberg-Konigstein-Rochefort dated 1564 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More denars

Page: of 422 Previous TopicReplies: 6,322 / Views: 190,774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05