Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,432 / Views: 203,298Next Topic
Page: of 429
Learn More...
United States
19603 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Hungarian Denar dated 1545 AD.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1544 Silesia, Duchy of Krosno, 1 groschen

Edited by tdziemia
05/11/2021 07:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3498 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that eye. And head. He almost looks kinda alien.

How do you know it's from Krosno? It doesn't seem to be stated on the coin anywhere.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, that eye.

Yeah, it definitely caught my attention.

Quote:
How do you know it's from Krosno?

I'd love to say I was smart enough to ID it, but that would be a lie. The attribution was made by the seller. It was an unusual part of Silesia which was under a Margrave of Brandenburg (John), rather than the King of Bohemia.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces122336.html

Edit: I can see why you asked ... There is a nearly identical coin issued in Brandenburg-Kustrin. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces127920.html
Maybe the coin was minted for use in both places?
Edited by tdziemia
05/11/2021 4:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3296 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1543 Free imperial city of Besanšon 1 Carolus

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin and nice to see a different issuing entity!

1543 Groschen of the Duchy of Leignitz-Brieg

Learn More...
United States
19603 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He does look a bit like an alien. For today, I have another Hungarian Denar. This one is dated 1543 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
19603 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my own Groschen from the German Duchy of Silesia-Liegnitz-Brieg dated 1542 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And mine ...

Learn More...
United States
19603 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great condition on that @tdz!

I've also got a Livonian Shilling dated 1542 AD to post for today. It is pretty beat up, but at least in hand the legends of "MONE REVALIE 4Z" and "LIV ONI MA CIS" are mostly visible.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Livonian coin reminds us that we are approaching a more "medieval look" to the coins (i.e. crosses of some kind on one side or even both).

Travelling early tomorrow, so I am going to cheat by a couple of hours ...
1541 groschen of the Margravate of Brandenburg

Edited by tdziemia
05/13/2021 10:12 pm
Learn More...
United States
19603 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Hungarian Denar dated 1541 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1540 Spanish Netherlands /County of Flanders, 4 stuivers

Learn More...
United States
19603 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Schilling from the Livonian Order minted in Riga and dated 1540 AD. I have it attributed as Saurma 5150.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4791 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to Poland with this 1539 trojak (3 groschen) from the city of Elbing

(Hmm...Not sure what I was doing with my photo editor when I made those)
Edited by tdziemia
05/16/2021 07:58 am
Page: of 429 Previous TopicReplies: 6,432 / Views: 203,298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05