Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition! We Need - 1487 C. E. (A. H. 892) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,515 / Views: 225,404Next Topic
Page: of 435
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5028 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...and mine

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1511 Duchy of Pfalz-Neuburg 1/2 Batzen

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5028 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! And thanks for saving us from the monotony of more of these:
1511 Lithuanian half groat

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3558 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meanwhile, my coin for 1511 is about as nonmonotonous as it gets...

Shirvanshahs, Ibrahim II, akce, 917 AH = 1511 AD
(this is the attribution on holder, but the date is very clear, at 5 hours on first pic)

This will probably be my last official entry for this thread; I have some unofficial (insufficiently narrowly dated) entries for later (i.e. earlier, into the 15th century), but my next actually narrowly dated coin appears to be 1452 (doubtful) and then, IIRC, something like 1364.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5028 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool coin!

Quote:
my next actually narrowly dated coin appears to be 1452 (doubtful) and then, IIRC, something like 1364

Whenever we get stalled, maybe we start a "discontinuous continuation" thread over in the Medieval and Ancient sub-forum, "Dated and Narrowly Datable Coins Moving Backward from 1460" (or whichever date we get stalled). I don't have anything between 1460 and 1408, but have maybe a dozen datable coins for the next 80 years after that. And I think @spence might have a lot of nice items to contribute. A day for each date, but if nothing gets posted we just keep moving.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3558 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whenever we get stalled, maybe we start a "discontinuous continuation" thread over in the Medieval and Ancient sub-forum, "Dated and Narrowly Datable Coins Moving Backward from 1460" (or whichever date we get stalled). I don't have anything between 1460 and 1408, but have maybe a dozen datable coins for the next 80 years after that. And I think @spence might have a lot of nice items to contribute. A day for each date, but if nothing gets posted we just keep moving.
Excellent idea! Looks like it would start on August 2nd or 3rd if we don't slow down anywhere on the way.

There are, conveniently enough, 1461 days in four years; dated coins from 4th century BC and earlier are exceedingly rare, so we can stop at 365 BC and make it a five-year project, with one leftover day if anyone has something even older than that.

We'd probably need to allow catch-up, though, especially for days where no coin was posted originally - which will likely make the later years fairly messy.
Learn More...
United States
20625 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm up for anything!

Today's contribution is a Half Groschen from Poland dated 1511 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
791 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
maybe we start a "discontinuous continuation" thread

I agree, excellent idea! Although I have only three coins to contribute with
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3558 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Although I have only three coins to contribute with
I have about three dozen! A bunch of 14th century Golden Horde coins, many 6th and 7th century Byzantines with regnal dates, a few debased Bosporan staters from the late 3rd/early 4th century (not a lot of dated 4th century coins out there! though still far more than 5th century), and others, ranging as far back as 138 BC. (Maybe even older, but I hadn't managed to read the date on any of my Arados coins yet.)

And by the time we actually get to 7th century (circa late 2023), I'd probably have many more.

I just don't (yet) happen to have any 15th century representation in particular. Actually I kinda want a narrowly dated coin from every century AD (and some BC if possible) - it's a neat extension of my completed One From Each Century. But so far I only have a bit over half of them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5028 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... by the time we actually get to 7th century (circa late 2023)...

I haven't thought through whether 1 yr/day makes sense, or we should go faster (3 yrs/day would give us a century per month). Or we could start slowly for the first century or so, then speed up for periods when we don't expect to have many?
All inputs welcome.

For 1510 I have a Polish half groat like @spence's yesterday (if I recall correctly, he has the entire 5 year series)

Edited by tdziemia
06/14/2021 07:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3558 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
then speed up for periods when we don't expect to have many?
I'm not sure offhand if there are any such periods until we get to 7th century; lots of Islamic (and then Byzantine and Sassanian) coins all over the place. There are probably some date areas where Islamic dated coins are comparatively scarcer, but offhand I have no idea where they would be; we'd need to figure it out as we go.
Honestly a lot depends on whether we have people who collect that sort of thing. We'd probably see a lot of catch-up.

OTOH 5th century is basically one huge gap. But if we get that far at 1 year per day it would probably look weird to suddenly speed up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5028 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those inputs.
Looking over at the "Walking Back ... by Decades" http://goccf.com/t/306045

I don't see that many coins with narrow date ranges being posted (depending of course on the definition of "narrow that's chosen), so maybe we can go fairly quickly. I'd hate for it to be years before someone could post something, like you pointed out.
Maybe we start a decade, and when we don't get a post for 2 days, we move on to the next decade?
And what do we want to use for "narrow" on the date range, 2 years? Ideally we're trying to get the earlier single year coins posted that we never get to see on "How Far Back," but if a little broader would get more contributions ...

Grateful for any/all suggestions and sorry for the diversion.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3558 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't see that many coins with narrow date ranges being posted (depending of course on the definition of "narrow that's chosen), so maybe we can go fairly quickly. I'd hate for it to be years before someone could post something, like you pointed out.
In terms of some people having to wait several years before their coins come up... that seems fairly inevitable, especially if we have to balance it with some other people missing their entry because the thread moved too fast.
(Regardless of speed, we probably need a setup where people could post their catch-up examples of dates that had been skipped on the original run.)

I've considered a week per decade (which would be 30% faster, i.e. 3 1/2 years instead of 5), with optional rules for advancing faster if all ten years of a decade had already been posted (this will probably be a fairly scarce occurrence).

Perhaps we should take advantage of the 1460=4x365 coincidence and make five simultaneous 365-day threads: 1460-1096, 1095-731, 730-366, 365-1 AD, and 1-365 BC. Of course this might be a problem if we get stalled before 1460.

Quote:
And what do we want to use for "narrow" on the date range, 2 years? Ideally we're trying to get the earlier single year coins posted that we never get to see on "How Far Back," but if a little broader would get more contributions ...
How Far Back does occasionally feature out-of-contest multi-year coins, typically posted at their earliest date. Here there is no contest, so in principle it might be possible to post coins with multi-year ranges, at the earliest date of their range - if nothing else then to avoid month-long (or longer) stretches where nothing at all gets posted.

Of course the optional advancement rules (if used) should only count single-year coins, and the same should probably apply to the catch-up rules if we're using the "only dates that had been skipped over" variety.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
791 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe: Continue as now, advancing one year every day, but with the following additions:
- Coins do not have to be datable to the exact year, but to a range that begins with the year. So, at the day for year 1432, coins that can be dated to 1432 or to a range beginning 1432 are eligible. (Optional: limit the range to maybe 5 or 10 years.)
- If no coin shows up during the day, just advance to the next lower year anyway.
- Catch-up allowed for, say 10 years "back" in time, so you don't have to wait for the next edition if you find out that "oh yeah, I did have a coin datable to 1432-1438!"

Quote:
make five simultaneous 365-day threads

Not a bad idea. It will be a very long thread otherwise ...
Learn More...
United States
20625 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if I recall correctly, he has the entire 5 year series

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Page: of 435 Previous TopicReplies: 6,515 / Views: 225,404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05