Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition! We Need - 1487 C. E. (A. H. 892) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,510 / Views: 224,692Next Topic
Page: of 434
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 1509 I will go back to the Lithuanian half groat. This is believed to be the earliest dated Lithuanian coin for general circulation (a very few 1508s exist, believed to be a pattern). For anyone who might wonder why @spence and I have so many of these, it has been estimated that 25-30 million were produced between 1509-1529! (facts from Early Lithuanian Half-groats, Huletski, Bagdonas and Darashkevich)

Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes that is a lot! I only paid ten bucks for this Half Groschen from Poland dated 1509. It was a while ago, but still seems pretty cheap.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1508 Polish half groat, Krakow mint.
(and I also got some of these in a lot which averaged about $10 per coin; I see they can still occasionally be found on eBay for about this amount)

Edited by tdziemia
06/16/2021 08:31 am
Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a my 1508--a brother to @tdz's coin for today:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure that this 1507 AD Half Groschen is my earliest dated Polish coin:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the technical sense, the 1507 half groat is indeed the earliest dated Polish coin. Sigismund ascended the Polish throne January 1507, and this is the only Polish coin to bear that date. There are no dated Polish coins from any of his predecessors (though a few can be attributed to single years).
However, Sigismund had served as Duke of Glogau from 1499-1506, and there is a famous groschen coin of Glogau issued in Sigismund's name, and dated 1506 (@giedrius posted it in the 5th edition). Many collectors deem this the "earliest dated Polish coin," but technically it is a Silesian coin.
My 1507 half groat:

Learn More...
United States
103760 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the technical sense, the 1507 half groat is indeed the earliest dated Polish coin. Sigismund ascended the Polish throne January 1507, and this is the only Polish coin to bear that date. There are no dated Polish coins from any of his predecessors (though a few can be attributed to single years).
However, Sigismund had served as Duke of Glogau from 1499-1506, and there is a famous groschen coin of Glogau issued in Sigismund's name, and dated 1506 (@giedrius posted it in the 5th edition). Many collectors deem this the "earliest dated Polish coin," but technically it is a Silesian coin.
That is fascinating. Thank you for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2952 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No other countries were dating coins besides Poland? in the early 1500s.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3557 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hungary, some German states, obviously multiple Islamic states, and I think a few other places but I don't recall offhand which ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The earliest Hungarian Denar dated is 1503. There were larger denomination coins in the latter 1400's dated but I wouldn't imagine they are cheap.
Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Just wait for this afternoon (for you) and tomorrow (for us).
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Those comments only applied to Poland and Poland/Lithuania which minted coins in such large quantities in the early 1500s (back to 1507) that many collectors can afford to have them in their collections.

From 1506 the stakes get higher, but we will see dated coins of German/Austrian states, Hungary, Burgundian Netherlands and Islamic states for the next 4+ decades... And some undated but attributable coins from Italian states.
Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Half Batzen from the German Duchy of Bavaria dated 1506 AD. It was minted in Munich and is attributed as Schulten 144:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5025 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1506 Duchy of Pomerania, half schilling. Yes, the last digit is a 6 . The 1500 of this type is dated mvc.

Edited by tdziemia
06/18/2021 07:43 am
Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a peculiar shape @tdz, although very similar in overall form to the 9 on the reverse of my coin "IVST9".
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 434 Previous TopicReplies: 6,510 / Views: 224,692Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05