Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition! We Need - 1491 C. E. (A. H. 896) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,483 / Views: 217,382Next Topic
Page: of 433
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2791 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool you guys answered my question well.

Affordable, never seen these coins ever in New Zealand, we are all limited to the British and Roman ones here. The earliest dated English coin is only 1548 and 1551 in Arabic numerals.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2408 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of Hungarian denars

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4887 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@arkie, nice coin, and nice to see you!

1505 Duchy of Pomerania schilling. I won't be as monotonous with these Pomeranian coins as with those Poland/Lithuania half groats, but I really like that griffin (and Stettin/Szczecin, where these coins were minted is in present-day Poland, so this is the closest I can get geographically to dated Polish coins before 1506).

Learn More...
United States
20044 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Patard from the Netherlands Duchy of Maastricht dated 1505 AD. This host coin was subsequently countermarked on the rev by Tournai.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
20044 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Patard from Maastricht for me today, but this one is dated 1504 AD and is holed rather than counter-struck. We will see more and more of these "looped" 4s, but the number 5 is a bit unusual in shape for this coin.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4887 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That vertical stroke we use on the modern 5 has been slowly disappearing through the 16th century. If you scroll back to p.415 in this thread, it is still prominent in the 1570s. Five pages later (420) in the 1540s it is less so.

For 1504 I am also in Burgundian Netherlands / Brabant with this similar double patard struck in Antwerp. And on mine the 5 has leaned backward so much that it looks more like a 4!

Edited by tdziemia
06/20/2021 07:50 am
Learn More...
United States
20044 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the 5 has leaned backward so much that it looks more like a 4!

Yes, I think that Levinson called this a "lightning bolt" shape.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
20044 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Groschen from the German Electorate of Brandenburg dated 1503 AD. It was minted in Berlin and is attributed as Saurma 4696:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4887 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive coin.
If I am not mistaken, I think those "lightning bolt" 5s cause some confusion as a final digit on 1495 Pomeranian coins.

1503 schilling of the Archbishopric of Koln/Cologne. Saurma 2748

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4887 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1502 Burgundian Netherlands/Brabant toison d'argent

Learn More...
United States
20044 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, all kinds of confusion! The shapes of the numbers on this Witten from the German City of Lunenburg aren't going to make things clearer. The 1502 date looks a bit like "l7oZ".

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2408 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Brandenburg groschen

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4887 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Three different countries this far along (and hurtling toward the 1400s) .

1501 Duchy of Pomerania, wittten (1/2 schilling)

Edited by tdziemia
06/23/2021 07:00 am
Learn More...
United States
101999 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice! Three different countries this far along (and hurtling toward the 1400s) .

15th Century or Bust.
Learn More...
United States
20044 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know! Almost time to break out the next box. For today, I've got a Schilling from the German City State of Pomerania-Wolgast dated 1501 AD. It is attributed as Saurma #4849.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 433 Previous TopicReplies: 6,483 / Views: 217,382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05