Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition! We Need - 1491 C. E. (A. H. 896) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,483 / Views: 216,972Next Topic
Page: of 433
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4878 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the 5th edition we hit 1500 on page 338 ... This time it took us to page 429. I assume that's a sign of better participation (but maybe it's just my often-too-large photos

1500 Archbishopric of Salzburg 1 Batzen

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
740 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1500 Archbishopric of Salzburg 1 Batzen

Nice coin!

It is the first time I see a turnip in a coat of arms. Gives me Blackadder* vibes.

* I don't know if this awesome British sitcom taking place in historical settings (including around 1500) has been televised in the US, but turnips play a role in it.
Learn More...
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a brother to @tdz's coin--the first one on this thread with a Levinson attribution (IV-64). More early dated coins to come in the upcoming week or two before this thread stalls.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4878 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First.. I think you and @pepac both posted this Salzburg coin in the 5th Edition. I commented that it would be the perfect 1500 for my collecting themes, and you suggested MA-shops, so THANKS!

Quote:
... week or two before this thread stalls

I hope that doesn't mean 1491! Last time around only @pepac had a coin for that year (AH dated), and I haven;t managed to get one. Fingers crossed that we get farther.

Learn More...
United States
101893 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the 5th edition we hit 1500 on page 338 ... This time it took us to page 429. I assume that's a sign of better participation
I am sure the result of participation.

Let the 15th Century run begin! No hesitation, no stalling! I want to lock the 5th in 40 days!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3532 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I assume that's a sign of better participation
Yes, but mostly in the early (i.e. closer to the present) parts; IIRC the 16th century participation is actually down from editions 4 and 5.

Quote:
It is the first time I see a turnip in a coat of arms.
My 1517 Salzburg zweier featured the same turnip. IIRC Leonard von Keutschach issued dated coins with his turnip coat of arms from 1500 until 1519.

(His successor, Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg, used some kind of flower as his coat of arms; I was unable to even figure out if it was supposed to be any specific kind of flower in particular.)

Quote:
Fingers crossed that we get farther.
I hope so too! 1491 is a hard one. IIRC there's two or three more complicated gaps to get through before we get to 1460.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
740 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My 1517 Salzburg zweier featured the same turnip

Indeed it did! See that now

But why did Leonard von Keutschach have a turnip, of all things, in his coat of arms? When googling on it, up comes some legend about him having had a turnip thrown at him by his uncle, who thought he didn't take his studies seriously enough. But other sources state that already his forefather Peter de Chewschach used it in 1344. Anyway, a symbol for wealth and prosperity at the time, it seems.

And about the flower in the coat of arms of Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg: Half a fleur de lis, together with - another half fleur de lis, only seen from above? And although the fleur de lis in coats of arms is more a symbolic representation of a flower than a depiction of an actual one, it does resemble certain species of Iris.
Learn More...
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there's two or three more complicated gaps to get through before we get to 1460.

Yes I agree--certainly I do...
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 4 Groten from the German Archbishopric of Bremen is dated 1499 AD. It was minted at Vörden and is attributed as Levinson I-405.

It is a new pick-up for me, which is always exciting!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4878 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same for me, though with much more wear (I didn't remember that you also had this coin...recent pickup?). Welcome to the 1400s!

Quote:
1491 is a hard one. IIRC there's two or three more complicated gaps to get through before we get to 1460.

I've doubled the dates I have between 1474 and 1500 since the 5th, but not come up with many of the tough ones. My first gap in 140 years is coming up Sunday.

Edited by tdziemia
06/25/2021 07:44 am
Learn More...
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @tdz, that 4 Groten is a new one for me. Here is my other coin dated 1499 AD: a Stuiver minted in Holland (Levinson III-271a):

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4878 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1498 Spanish Netherlands / Brabant, toison d'argent. W.605 and Levinson II-141

Edited by tdziemia
06/26/2021 3:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Zinsgroschen from the German Duchy of Saxony-Ernestine (Schneeberg mint) dated 1498 AD. I have it attributed as Levinson I-391a.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2406 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little late with this undated denar; it was minted 1500-02.

Learn More...
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another recent pick-up for me: a Ducat from the German City State of Hamburg dated 1497 AD. It is still entombed by PCGS, but I may free it at some point. The attribution is Levinson I- 362b. Sorry about the color--I get the vast majority of photography practice on silver and therefore struggle a bit with other metals.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 433 Previous TopicReplies: 6,483 / Views: 216,972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05