Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,008 / Views: 56,053Next Topic
Page: of 201
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8268 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1951 -- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 1 guinea:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8268 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1951 -- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 1 riyal:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1951 Canada.
Dollar.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1951 Canada.
50 cents.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
1951 UK
Farthing.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1951 Canada.
5 cents.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1951 Republique Francaise.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
1951 UK.
5 Shillings.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
719 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I may hold off showing my Festival of Britain crown just yet!

This British Florin, I chose as its so worn its not true.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
719 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And back home again - from 1951 back to 1940, we will have a halfcrown a year (My 1953 was a bit manky with red paint splatter on it).

There is also a Sixpence, luckily 1951 was a year in which VF coins can be commonly found as it was surmised many 1951 coins arrived when there was a surplus of 1947/50 cupro nickel coins out already and they were not needed.

Hence many were finally released out in 1963 and thus only were used for about 4 or 5 years.

The Sixpence is gVF and Half Crown standard VF, most standard copper nickel of this era is VG - Fine, like the Florin above.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8611 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  01:12 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My own 1951 Festival crown, with some lovely blue and gold toning, + original box and insert. This is a specimen (proof) strike, the most common, with almost 2m struck. The boxes resulted in some wild toning; this coin's toning is quite a bit more subdued than some of the crazy ones I've seen.

These coins were all Proof strikes, although many web sites still refer to them as Uncirculated or specimen strikes, in error.

A very, very few (+/- 50) were struck as presentation pieces in high relief with matte or frosted surfaces; they have loe reflectivity, and the edge lettering is compressed, suggesting they may have been struck multiple times, or on specially prepared planchets, or both.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
719 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paralyse, I have 2 British 1951 crowns too and one is in a purplish box like yours and with the note.

Yet the other coin is in a green box, but with no note - yet the box is still nice.

I have no idea which coin this is, as they not told apart - both are clearly proof like and not proofs. I only say that as most proofs are mirror surface and often features were cameoed. George and St George look shiny, but not cameoed in anyway like say Numis Robs 1953 Proof set.

Plus this was the standard finish for the coin (Possibly as compensation for it not being silver like every previous crown)

I am honestly dying to know why this was the case and if any other different coloured boxes were sold. Especially as both of my coins are the same and have the same quality finish. I bought them as a pair for $30NZD
Edited by Princetane
03/28/2020 01:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6721 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  05:09 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, Princetane and paralyse! I don't think there's any difference in the quality of the 1951 crowns in the different color boxes. Maybe one box was used for coins actually sold at the Festival in London. Mine is in a green box but has the same note as paralyse's coin.

Here's the 1951 penny - the scarcest British coin of 1951, mintage only 120,000. It's said that the entire mintage was sent to Bermuda, which still used British coinage at the time:
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5256 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 201 Previous TopicReplies: 3,008 / Views: 56,053Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05