Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 * Note Duplicate Serial Number Project To Find Matched Pairs

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 238 / Views: 26,365Next Topic
Page: of 16
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all,

I must agree with SteveInTampa, it really doesn't make any difference at this point. It would be interesting to know though, but I have no idea how to find out. I wouldn't even know how to frame the question in a FOIA, or if simply writing a letter to the Director would elicit a response. Maybe one of you reading this would want to per-sue this answer and share your findings with us. But at this point.

A bit of an update here, as you may be aware of the controversy about being an error or not, and the above post that Dr. Bart has settled the question, a matched pair is an error, but a single note in these runs is not an error. The update is, that after I forwarded Dr. Barts email to PMG, they responded back that they will re-label them as an Error and gave me instructions on how to send them back to them for this process.

Just want to give another Thank You out to all of you who have been following and contributing to this fun and interesting collecting project.

Take care!
Edited by Snoopydoo
07/31/2021 11:57 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
opinions on the dupicate pair being offered by stacks bowers----thanks
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add penniless to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
opinions on the dupicate pair being offered by stacks bowers----thanks

Auctions and direct sales are a part of a healthy hobby, if there were none, it would have died many generations ago. That being said, even though their are collectors who will never sell, all want to know the value the hobby puts on their possessions.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hallor Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I'd go ahead and list the five B-13 Star Notes that I have.

B 06221750*
B 06370251*
B 07080173*
B 07573156*
B 08252040*

Hope we can find a match for these. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
3313 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
need to know if they are fw or dc---

After reading this, I gave it some thought. Does it really matter to know if it's FW or DC ? I don't believe so. If you match - you match.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
then he has a match on the first two---
Pillar of the Community
United States
3313 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
then he has a match on the first two---

Are you confirming two matches for Hallor Bill ?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
of the bills he listed--the first two are on the spreedsheet---so that must mean he has a match--am I right in my thinking--
Edited by mikev50
08/03/2021 12:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3313 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this is the first time and place his serial numbers have been announced/published, than yes, he has a match.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add penniless to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone care to guess the final hammer price?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone care to guess the final hammer price?

I don't think that's possible to do at this time.

Of course those of us here on this forum or those who are involved in the project group are well versed in them, but for the majority of the world collectors, this is the first time they've even seen or heard of one of these pairs.

But, maybe after Dr. Bart publishes his Fifth Edition of "United States Paper Money Errors" and the world see's these in that book, and they are able to use his "Relative Rarity Index", combined with this Auctions introduction of them, a final hammer price guess would be possible.

Many may be Leary of being first to pay for something that's never been sold before, because they don't have something to look back on as a price guide to formulate their bidding boundaries on.

I'm thinking these may have to go to a second Auction before we know a solid value. This may just be one of the steps in a process for a new error find.

But hey, what do I know? As I've stated before, I am by no means an expert in anything to do with Numismatics. I'm just an enthusiastic collector like most of us here. Collecting brings me joy and fun in the hunting! I learn something new in this hobby everyday.

So back to the original question for a guess on the final hammer price..
My guess is it will be between $0.00 and a gazillion.

But, it could be an opportunity for someone to pick up for only the opening bid price!

Also, starting today thru the 13th, it is on display at the ANA Worlds Fair of Money.

The saga continues..

Edited by Snoopydoo
08/07/2021 12:52 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how will the other 9 matching pairs effect the value once this is sold---will they go to auction---
Edited by mikev50
08/07/2021 1:38 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how will the other 9 matching pairs effect the value once this is sold---will they go to auction---

Who knows?

Thus far only 7 of the 10 have been brought together, authenticated and graded. Most the other owners have no intention of selling, this is a personal triumph for them to have put together in their collection.

And if someday there's 25 graded pairs out there, that's still pretty dog gone Rare!

This pair up for Auction was about bringing them to the attention of the world of collectors that never heard of them, and establishing their legitimacy in the hobby, and an attempt to scratch that itch many "only focus" on, and that's how much are they worth.

Wether it sells or doesn't sell, we accomplished bringing knowledge of them to so many who didn't know. Maybe it will peak some interest and maybe it will locate some BEP packs we didn't know about. We need to preserve as many as we can find for the future.

The conspirator side of my mind, thinks that after the BEP put out those production reports of the duplicated notes, and realized what had happened, they had the FRB's and printing facilities try to locate any of these remaining notes and pulled what they could find and destroyed them.

You see that the reporting of these notes, especially in the runs we've never found a match in, has slowed significantly. As the notes that naturally reach and exceed their lifespan, are pulled and destroyed, the future of more matched pairs is reduced daily.

Part of Collecting, is preserving for the future generations.

I would be ecstatic if anyone was able to match a Full BEP pack to another Full BEP pack. How great would that be. We've never had a match with both notes being Uncirculated. Talk about a great preservation opportunity!

How will more pairs effect the value? Nobody knows. Heck, most of us in this project, won't even be here in 10 or 20 years.

So for now I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the journey, and let what may or may not happen to the future value of these pairs take care of itself. We're doing our part in finding and preserving.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i wouldn't mind owning it but I think it will exceed the opening bid--wouldn't be surprised that it doubles the opening bid based on the rarity--looking forward to the auction--
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lbray001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some to share. :)

B02711733* (the star note lookup site designated this one to be a potential if printed in Fort worth while the others I have say if printed in DC)

B07090584*

B05336476*
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 238 / Views: 26,365Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05