Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 * Note Duplicate Serial Number Project To Find Matched Pairs

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 247 / Views: 28,643Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't mind owning it but I think it will exceed the opening bid--wouldn't be surprised that it doubles the opening bid based on the rarity--looking forward to the auction--

I don't know..pre-bidding has started...nobody's made an opening bid on it yet

I'm looking forward to the auction, I've never seen one before.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time is getting close!

If your interested and available to watch, it should be exciting!

https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/artic...acks-bowers/

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...cated-serial

Live Bidding begins Aug 18, 2021 @ 2:00 PM PDT

Hope everyone is Safe, Healthy, and Happy!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3370 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After seeing the results of the Del Monte error note, nothing would surprise me. I believe collectors may be matching up pairs of these for years to come.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I guessed if it sold, it could go for opening bid, someone got a great deal!

Congratulations to the new owner!!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3370 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold for $7,200, which is more than the opening bid but less than the auction estimate. Unless future examples are offered in higher grades, this may be the high water mark.which doesn't surprise me.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sold for $7,200, which is more than the opening bid but less than the auction estimate. Unless future examples are offered in higher grades, this may be the high water mark.which doesn't surprise me.

Ok, Opening bid was $6k, the Auctioneer said we have $6k from the internet, there were no raises, hammer fell.

But yes, with fees it's $7200. Yes it was below estimate.

Why the negative "Eeyore" feel to the last couple comments? Sorry if I'm misinterpreting them, but that's how it reads to me.

I'm happy for the debut results!

During this auction process (period of time, about 6 months)we found out Dr. Bart will be officially classifying them in his next (5th) edition of United States Paper Money Errors, as an Error.

Before that, PMG refused to call them an Error, but now they have offered to re-label them as an Error.

These sold as an Error, even without the Error label.

I'm sure this Auction was the first time many people, ever heard of them.

So this did pretty good for its first time out of the gate.

I'm very excited for the new owner, and again want to congratulate them!

As previously stated, I'm no expert, but I think they will go much higher in the future. I don't think there's going to be a lot more pairs found. Great if they are, but I'm guessing the rush of pairs found in the last 18 months, was the peak and will be tapering off.

The Del Monte Banana sticker note didn't go for much it's first auction. It's second auction it was only estimated at what, $25k, and sold for nearly $400k?

This project has come a long ways in 18 months, I'm just going to smile and be happy over yesterday's results, and take a breath!

Luv ya Steve!

Thank you everyone for following along, and contributing helpful and fun comments. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3370 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ever since I viewed the YouTube video, posted on the other thread related to this subject, I've had my doubts. The video was hyping a pair of these selling anywhere from $50K - $150K. Our opinions differ, and that's OK. I'm glad the story was told and I'm glad they were deemed an error pair and not just an oddity or curiosity.

Respectfully Craig, I like error notes that you can show to civilians (non-collectors) and holding the note makes them say Wow, or That's Cool ! I like obvious, in-your-face errors that require a minimum or no explanation at all. Errors like Major Misalignments, Missing Printings, Inverted Printings, Overprints on Back and Double Denominations. These pairs of duplicated serial numbered notes are significant to paper money collectors, but because of the lengthy explanation required, lose their luster to the general population.

Congratulations to the new owner. We now we have a benchmark. Does anyone know if any future pairs will end up together in a custom TPG holder ?
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoolBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing this error to the Del Monte banana error is like an apples to oranges comparison. Matching pairs has 6,150,000 possible matches and the Del Monte error is unique. The original hype video with an estimate of $50K to $150K was reckless. There was no basis for these numbers and it resembled that of a carnival barker.

The project of finding matched pairs has really just started. Several collectors are actively saving 2013 B-star notes so I expect many more pairs will be found in the future. There also exists the possibility that someone will find matching packs. If this happens don't expect to immediately hear about it. This error would then become a hoard, and hoards typically come down to affordable levels for collectors. It is for these reasons I don't believe this error will ever approach that of the Del Monte banana error.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Comparing this error to the Del Monte banana error is like an apples to oranges comparison. Matching pairs has 6,150,000 possible matches and the Del Monte error is unique.

It was never an attempt to compare the two for equal uniqueness or to bet these pairs would reach that price. It was simply pointed to in the realm of things can exceed estimated auction values.

Sorry for your confusion of the intended point of the comparison.

Have a great day!

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add penniless to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for the video, I for one did the same thing I always do when I am watching and listening to a video of that type. When I heard the statement of worth, I had enough and turned it off. I didn't watch it all but can very well recite the ending.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3370 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2021  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The project of finding matched pairs has really just started. Several collectors are actively saving 2013 B-star notes so I expect many more pairs will be found in the future.

Although this is true, many of these notes are destroyed every day by the Fed in their continuing efforts to remove worn notes from circulation.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2021  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoolBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the Fed is destroying a lot of notes, but this series is being saved more than others. If the project continues to be talked about it's entirely possible the number of matches could double in a few years. However if SnoopyDoo and others lose interest in promoting the project and recording serial numbers then enthusiasm will wane and fewer notes saved. I wish the first auction pair sold for a higher amount to bring more publicity to the project. That would lead to more participation and ultimately more notes being saved from the shredder.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question, or two.

When notes are pulled from circulation and destroyed, do they keep a record of the Denomination, Series, and Serial Number of each note removed from service and destroyed?

If they do record this information, exactly who would one contact with a FOIA request to find this information out? What wording would one use in such a request?

I'm just thinking if we could track project notes removed from circulation, as well as those found, it would be useful information.

I really would like to learn about a Notes end of service process too.

Thanks for any comments to help me learn!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

United States
23 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ynnad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Snoopydoo wrote: When notes are pulled from circulation and destroyed, do they keep a record of the Denomination, Series, and Serial Number of each note removed from service and destroyed?

They only keep a record of the denomination. They don't even keep a record of which federal reserve bank the note came from. (They do keep track of more details when a note with a denomination of greater than on hundred dollars is destroyed, but this probably doesn't happen very often.)

I saw a cite for this somewhere a while back, I think from the Federal Reserve. If anyone is interested I will try to find it again.

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoolBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Treasury's primary concern is knowing how much money is in circulation. So they keep track of which denominations are destroyed. At one time they also recorded the series so they knew how many notes were left outstanding. I don't know if they still do this or not. Like Ynnad I have also heard that 500's and higher denominations are recorded in more detail. This is also for record keeping so the Treasury Dept. knows how many notes are outstanding. They also get an occasional large size note, I imagine they are treated the same as high denominations, but no one I spoke to could confirm that.
Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 247 / Views: 28,643Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05