Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 * Note Duplicate Serial Number Project To Find Matched Pairs

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 144 / Views: 14,809Next Topic
Page: of 10
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome PeekasaNest!
Unfortunately those first three Serial Numbers are not in range of the project, but the last two definitely are!
Good Job!
The first set of Serial Numbers is between 1 (one) and 250k (two hundred and fifty thousand.).
The second group is between 3.2 million and 9.6 million.
Keep up the Hunt!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peekasa Nest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
B00320001* and B09600000

according to YOUR initial post on page 1, the serial numbers run from (320 thousand)320001 to 9.6 million. TWO zeros in 10 & 1 million position. Is that correct or should there be a correction to your post?

Regards
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for pointing that out!
Can't believe it's the first time that was noticed. I know the video is correct and the other thread here.
I've reported it to a moderator to see if they can correct the typo since it's been over 24 hours, I can't edit it!
Good catch!
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've reported it to a moderator to see if they can correct the typo since it's been over 24 hours, I can't edit it!
Fixed it.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TEK213 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Snoopydoo, I listed MANY Star notes last week within the range we are looking for on the Silver pickers UTube video. Will I automatically receive the update list of all Star notes collected at the end of the month ? Do I need to request an updated list from somewhere else ?
Thanks TEK213
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the community TEK213
You shouldn't have to do anything else, when the updated list comes out you should get it in an email. Just know it might be a little late this month as Karol is out of State on vacation right now.
Again, Welcome to the CCF and this project!
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybrid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this one
Serial B00492737*
Plate position H3
Face Plate FW H 107
Back plate 84
Edited by hybrid
02/27/2021 06:17 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello hybrid,
Unfortunately that note is just outside the possible duplicated Serial Numbers.
The first group of possible duplicated serial numbers is between B00000001* and B 00250000* (Between 1 and 250 thousand)
Yours is in the 492 thousand range.
The second group doesn't start till 3.2 million and 9.6 million.
But don't give up the hunt!
Thanks for getting involved in this!
Sincerely
Snoopydoo
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pardon my ignorance:

Curious about the goal/benefit of reporting duplicates? Looks interesting to do, but how will it help and whom?

(context hunting)

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Diy89Nurm7,

I don't know if you read the beginning of this thread or not, but in a nutshell, the BEP made a mistake and authorized two different printing facilities to print some of these 2013, B New York, $1, Star Notes, with Serial Numbers that had already been printed and sent out into the world. Thus creating roughly 6.4 million possible pairs of notes from the same series, same denomination, and the same FRB, Star Notes. As is well known, a Serial Number is only supposed to be used once per Series, Denomination, and FRB, thus the whole reason for Star Notes being used to denote it being a replacement note for one being replaced. This happening on Star Notes makes it all the more interesting.

Some call this an error, some a mistake, but tomato or tomata in my humble opinion it's semantics, two notes with duplicated serial numbers was an unplanned and out of procedure occurrence, or maybe just an oops.

Again, in my humble opinion, if it were ok to do this because they were printed at two different facilities, then we wouldn't need Star notes for replacements we could just have the other facility print the same serial number there and use it as the replacement. We could also make currency Serial Numbers shorter, by duplicating serial numbers printed at the opposite facility, saving tons of money on ink and equipment set up for large serial numbers, over the course of billions of notes being printed. Only my opinion, I am the Novice when it comes to currency knowledge here.

But I digress, regardless of what anyone wants to call this, it is a project made up of hundreds if not thousands of collectors who are trying to bring notes with matching serial numbers together.

The benefit is for a collector to acquire a matched pair of serial numbered notes. The project helps track and then match up note owners once a pair is identified. It is up to the two owners to work out a buy, sell or trade agreement with each other to own the pair together.

At this point there are 7 matched pairs with individual owners. There are 3 matched pairs with dual ownership.

This is a personal preference if you want to try and get a matched pair or not.

I hope this helps bring the project into context for you!

Again, this is my opinion and it is not shared by all.

If you want an expert opinion on this topic, I suggest you ask SteveInTampa as he is widely held as our currency expert here on the CCF.
I highly respect him and his knowledge on this subject, as he was the one who introduced me to this project!

Thank you for your questions and interest!
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Memorizemee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey there. Thanks for bringing this whole thing to my attention. Just submitted my first star note to the project. Hope it's a match!
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3093 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ever since I heard about the duplication, I've been torn over their potential popularity. Are they error notes, or merely a mistake by the BEP ? If I handed a pair of them to a non-collector and said "Ain't these cool !". I would expect them to say, "Cool, they match, but I've seen matching serial numbers before, what's the big deal ?" Then I would have to give the lengthy backstory about the whole DC and FW debacle and by then I've lost their interest. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a pair of them in any condition, and hearing what the price tag will be for a pair of them has my interest.
To me, it's a similar story to Gilbert notes. If I show someone a Gilbert note, they say, "Ok, it's a 1963 $1 note, what's the big deal ?" Then I have to explain about the paper, and the history behind them and that it's never happened before, and once again, I've lost their interest.
If you're a true, hardcore collector, you love stories like this, but the general public needs the WOW factor. For that you need to show them a Bison or Chief or a National note with their hometown name on it.

This update was published in Paper Money magazine a year ago by Ed Zegers. A great visual aid and story for this thread.

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybrid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this one is in range
B04681237*
C16
C4
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 144 / Views: 14,809Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05