Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Added A Few Flavian Rarities

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 487Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  12:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have added a few rarities in the last little while and thought I would share.

A little while ago a friend sent me a PM to alert me to a rare Domitian that popped up on MA-Shops. When I saw it I did not hesitate I bought it immediately. It is rare for 2 reasons. First it has a rare obverse legend stating that Domitian is the son of the deified Vespasian. Second it has a rare left facing portrait of Domitian. Though left facing portraits show up on bronzes with some regularity, a left facing portrait on a denarius for Domitian is a rare sight indeed.

Domitian AR Denarius (81 CE) (Group 4)
Obv: Laureate head left; IMP CAES DIVI VESP F DOMITIAN AVG PM
Rev: Tripod with fillets, Dolphin above; TR P COS VII DES VIII PP
RIC 75 (R2) BMC Note p. 302 RSC 568d
Purchased from Monetarium on MA-Shops December 6th 2019

The next coin is a very rare early Titus as Augustus denarius. While the right facing version is obtainable without too many problems this one only comes to market very very rarely. One Flavian expert told me that this was the first one to surface in several years.

Titus AR Denarius 79 CE after July 1
Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, Laureate head left.
Rev: TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII P P, Capricorn left; globus below.
RIC 20 (R2), BMC p. 227 note, RSC 282
Ex: ANE Store on Vcoins

I am very excited about this one. It is R3-only one known by the authors of RIC. However, I know of one other. It sold in a Pegasi bid or buy auction in 2017. It is the coin in the acsearch results. Rarity is one thing but when the coin is a RIC plate coin-that gets me excited.

RSC makes reference to the Ashmolean museum regarding this coin. Since until recently there was only 1 known I guess that makes my coin the Oxford coin.

Titus Silver denarius, 74 CE
RIC II-2 695 [VESP] (R3, this coin), RSC II 161a, BMCRE II -, SRCV I -, Cohen I -, Hunter I -,
aVF/F, toned, nice portrait, reverses slightly off center, Rome mint, weight 3.160g, maximum diameter 19.3mm, die axis 180o, as caesar,
Obv: T CAESAR IMP VESP counter-clockwise from lower right, laureate head right;
Rev: PONTIF TR POT (priest, holder of Tribunitian power) counter-clockwise from lower right, Titus seated right on curule chair, long scepter vertical in right hand, palm branch in extended left hand;
this is the RIC plate coin! no recorded sales of the type on Coin Archives for the last two decades; extremely rare

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1974 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins orphew...

Love the different reverse designs on the lefties. My favourite, being my star sign, is the Capricorn Nice Nice!...But the plate coin wow that a rare one...Congratulations on these lovely additions to your impresive collection....Paul
Learn More...
United States
17130 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this is the RIC plate coin!

Nice job picking up plate coins!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
23219 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  10:52 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent additions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Paul, @Spence, and Ron for the kind comments
Valued Member
United Kingdom
349 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's nice to see this group of rarities. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
5206 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet. Great additions, Andrew - and special kudos on the plate coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim and Bob for the kind words.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 487Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05