Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Me Understand Why Error Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 309Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

In no way is this a critique of crh rolling for error coins but I don't get it. What is the fascination with the possibility a coin is a mint error? Especially if you need a magnifying glass or a microscope to see it? Yes I understand the 1955 DDO and the 1942/1 but I don't get the 1942/1 D as it's just not noticeable. Is the error coin the coin lottery everyone expects to hit, or is it that finding that elusive DDO is a dream for some? Does an error have to be noticeable naked eye to make it a worthwhile error or just the slightest hint of doubling is enough? I guess why the fascination with errors when most can't be really scene unless I set magnification?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17307 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people like error coins, some couldn't be bothered with them.
If the error is of a very minor nature there is no added value for such a coin.
The prospect of zero added value does not stop the serious student from persisting in the study of them.

Those who are only looking at possible rarity and added value of very minor errors usually give up. That is a pity. There is lot to learn in the study of error coins.
The numismatic student, on the other hand, ends up learning a lot about the minting process, and Mint technology. His interest may well then extend into other areas of numismatics.

I do, in fact collect major error coins, such as off metal strikes, patterns, brokages, piedforts, mules, severe off center mis strkes, coins struck without a collar, die adjustment strikes, severely bitten edges, and complete planchet failures, where the weight is affected significantly.

I have at least one example of each class of error mentioned, and in most cases, more than one of each.
It taken me more than 50 years to build such a collection. More than half of these have come from public auction.
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05