Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Parthian? Coins Please.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll add - before getting back to work here - that the left coin may be from the same area. Rotated 90 degrees the group of little spheres may well be a hair bun at the back of the head of a right-facing bust...Typical Sassanian (incl. Kushano-Sassanian) motif. The reverse would help pin it down, though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One always hesitates to attempt ID's based on a pic of just one side of a coin. But to give you a sense of where my speculations about Kushano-Sassanian - and perhaps Hormazd in particular - are coming from, Jim, here are comparisons with different varieties of Hormazd I AE's.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5803 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeesh, I hate that you got burned like that.

From my experience in dealing with things like this, don't go to the seller begging for a refund. Go straight to eBay or even to PayPal and open a request, and state "Item is a counterfeit" in the description. They will side with you 100% of the time - the seller must immediately refund your money and if they want the items back, they must provide you with a prepaid shipping label as well.

It is distressing that some of these new fakes are tough to spot if they aren't associated to a known criminal seller. I have even put many coins in my watch list before realizing that they *must* be fakes if they come from that seller.

Your second lot shows some promise at least. I believe the two coins you had circled are both of Peroz I Kushanshah.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Bob, your knowledge base never ceases to amaze me. I really had no idea where to start looking, even with a picture search. The images you posted do look to be spot on. Unfortunately there wasn't a picture of the reverse sides of these coins, but it looks like you have nailed it.

Thank you @Finn235. When I did a picture search on Google for Peroz I Kushanshah, there were indeed images displayed that were a very close match to the coins I posted. It looks like the only way I'll find out is to bid on them, and if I win I'll be able to show the reverse of the coins as well.

I wrote to the seller today, to say that I wasn't happy with the coins, and got this reply;
"Hi the coins come from a top collector in London I paid way more for them than they actually sold for and I was advised differently at time of purchase. I said before it is no problem to return them to me for a refund if you wish it is no problem. "
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi the coins come from a top collector in London I paid way more for them than they actually sold for

Uh, yeah, right.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bob L "Uh, yeah, right."
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2020  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, of course he can say whatever he wants. Glad to hear he'll honor the return policy. That's good news.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not the first time I've heard that from a seller. The coins are on their way back at the moment.

I was lucky in my bid for the other coins, so hopefully will be able to post images of both sides soon.

Jim
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins finally arrived with a dozen others. These were the coins in question, now showing both sides. I'm not sure about the orientation, so that could be wrong.

The first is 15 x 16 mm in diameter, and weighs around 3.0 gr.

The second is 16 x 17 mm in diameter, and weighs around 3.8 gr.

Jim
Edited by Novicius
01/21/2020 08:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the top coin, left pic (obverse), Jim: the little projection/point at 1:00 is actually the bottom of that one. It's a right-facing bust.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've changed the image Bob, and it looks better now.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1721 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find Jim....
Are both of Hormazd I?...The altar shape seems different between the two...I assume different types?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure Paul. The coins all appear to be from the same era, and three of them have the altar reverse.

This is the third one. It is 18 x 17 mm in diameter, and about 3.4 gr.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one also looks like it may have an altar reverse, but it's difficult to tell. It is 16 x 17 mm in diameter, and weighs approximately 3.2 gr.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the last one that possibly has an altar reverse, though it's even more difficult to tell with this one. The coin is 15 x 17 mm in diameter, and weighs around 3.4 gr.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05