Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have Come To A Sad Realization, There Are Some Coins I Truly Do Not Like!

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like Morgans way more than Peace dollars, especially in MS. I have no desire to collect Peace dollars.

More for me
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice group hfjacinto have you given any thought into starting additional sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice group hfjacinto have you given any thought into starting additional sets.

I completed the following already:
Small Cents from 1857 to 2019
Mercury dimes
Peace dollars
20th century type set.

I'm currently working on:
Walking Liberty - Need 4
Bison Nickels - Need 3
Liberty nickels - Need 3

After these I was going to complete ASE, I already have 13 need 23
Pillar of the Community
United States
1853 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, when you put your mind to something, it gets done, doesn't it? Nice set of Peace dollars you have there! I have admired all of your collections, they are really nice!

After you finish off the Dancing Lady halves and the Roaming animal nickels, I'll help you with Canadian small cents if you'd like. They can't be plucked from circulation for you, but they are a nice (and easy) set to compile. Let me know if you'd like to give them a go. I am certain your local coin shop can help with an album and a few of the tougher dates, but there really aren't too many difficult ones. Think on it and let me know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover I'm a little (welll maybe more than a little ) ocd. It helps that I have a friend that has a lot of completed collections and lots of extras. He usually gives me a head start. I would love to do a Canadian series I have enough duplicates that I could help you complete a type set if you want. I have examples of most 20th century coins. Let's talk :)

I was in Canada a few times for pleasure and work. My family love Roots clothing :) and I can even speak Canadian Eh!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1853 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, I'll send you a pm. Let's see what you might need in Canadian small cents and go from there. À bientôt!
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I'll help you with Canadian small cents if you'd like. They can't be plucked from circulation for you, but they are a nice (and easy) set to compile...

Pardon the interruption, but depending on where hfjacinto lives in the USA, he can still find Canadian small cents in circulation and by coin roll hunting. I find one at least every month, I'm in northern Ohio.

I put together a mostly complete set from around 1950 onward years ago from CRH.

In fact, I have oodles of them if any one needs any.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't do CRH and I rarely if ever get a cent in change. I used to travel to Canada a lot for work but I always used credit card. For any that I am missing I would have to buy them :(
Pillar of the Community
United States
1853 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pardon the interruption, but depending on where hfjacinto lives in the USA, he can still find Canadian small cents in circulation and by coin roll hunting. I find one at least every month, I'm in northern Ohio.

Northern Ohio shares a border with Ontario so Canadian cents in bank rolls probably are more common for you than hfjacinto in NJ. I am in central Ohio and Canadian coins are showing up less and less here, from, I think, banks cracking down on accepting them. In searching through boxes of cents I see, maybe, one or two Canadian cents per box. It certainly would be difficult (but not impossible) to assemble to a set of 1950-2012 Canada cents... even at that, it would take a long time. Older Canadian cents, pre-1950 would take even longer, dare I say, nearly impossible through pocket change or bank roll searching.

Even in Ontario, banks and merchants don't want to deal in cents, they round transactions up or down, avoiding cents altogether in many occasions. Banks in the States won't take Canadian coins at all (some throw them out as trash), and many banks even in Canada don't want to deal with them as well. Walk into a bank in Canada and ask for any pennies in any form, rolls or even a small handful, and chances are you'll walk away cent-less. As we all know, Canada stopped producing cents in 2012, and Canadian cents are slowly disappearing from circulation on both sides of the border.
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed that since he is in NJ, he is less likely to find them than I am in N Ohio.

There is a large amusement park in my county, at one time they accepted Canadian currency at par, even when local banks discounted it. (Long time ago obviously).

During that time, I worked in a bar. On the regular, Canadian sailors from the coal boats would come in to drink. They spent money like, well, like drunken sailors. One of them always complained about our currency being all the same color, making it difficult to determine its value in the dark bar. He sure did tip well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Living as I do here in Minnesota (a/k/a Baja Canada), I usually expect to see a handful of Canadian coins when I CRH.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3155 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, bald old men will never be considered attractive. The people recognized on those coins had significant accomplishments, but at the time people figured that the only way to recognize them was with a large unattractive looking bust. It could have been done another way, but was not.

Modern commemorative coins seem to be more flexible in how they honour people.
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately, bald old men will never be considered attractive.

I beg your pardon.
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately, bald old men will never be considered attractive.
I beg your pardon.
Yeah! What you say?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally like pretty women on my coins but that's me.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05