Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Ptolemy That Needs Attribution

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3292 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  8:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This weighs 14.0 grams and has a diameter of 24 mm.

I can read ptolemy basileus , and the head appears to be Zeus. However, I am having trouble narrowing the attribution further.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4803 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably Ptolemy II. It's a shield in the left reverse field with, apparently, no other devices. I have no idea what's with the black gunk. Hopefully the coin is kosher.

Recommend a search on the following at acsearch.info:

Ptolemy AE shield

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3292 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Bob:

I am not sure about the black gunk either. It does not belong to me yet. I cannot detect any casting marks on my initial examination.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3292 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm...

Bob, I did a search at your spot, and there a a lot that look very similar, but all of these are 26-27 mm and 17 grams. I am wondering if this is a sign that the coin is suspect?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4803 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure. I do see, in the group, a couple of smaller and lighter ones, but with a monogram over the shield. (Which may or may not be buried under the gunk on your coin)

Here's a 24mm, 14.68g specimen with shield:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4017641

And a 26mm, 13.65g:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2200493

The shield-AE's at ptolemybronze.com (the main website for these) seem mostly larger:
http://ptolemybronze.com/ptolemy_series.html
Learn More...
United States
22889 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks like it was lacquered at one time which has turn black now. A soak in acetone might remove the old lacquer so more of the coin is visible.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3292 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try the acetone. It can't hurt.

Update: Acetone removed some but not all of this black crud, and did not reveal anything else.

So I cannot get a match for the size and weight of this item.

Possibly this is underweight and undersize (which might explain why the inscription is nearly off the flan) or it not genuine.

There is a resource called "the PtolemAE project" which I will explore.
Edited by oriole
01/18/2020 09:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4803 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a resource called "the PtolemAE project" which I will explore.

I believe that's the formal name of the ptolemybronze website I linked to above. The link I provided was to the catalog rather than the front page.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3292 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, @bobL, that is correct. Their catalogue and resource was good but led me to the same conclusion that the size and weights do not match anything published.

Given the situation I can't really offer to buy this item, so I will temporarily, at least, leave this mystery aside and return the item to its owner. I might get a chance down the road to let someone have a look at in in hand.

Thanks for the assistance.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05