Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here We Go Again. 2020 W Quarters Coming.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
4896 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't understand why the mint wouldn't just include them in a separate set that they charge an appropriate amount for and put them in circulation as well.

They won't do that because it makes too much sense. Remember, we are dealing with a Government agency.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they sold them it kills all the excitement of the search for them for the large majority of people.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If someone wants to be excited about searching for -W's in circulation, all they'd have to do is not make a purchase from the mint. That doesn't seem difficult to me. I don't think that they even thought that much about it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still waiting to find a 2019-W in my daily pocket change.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If someone wants to be excited about searching for -W's in circulation, all they'd have to do is not make a purchase from the mint. That doesn't seem difficult to me. I don't think that they even thought that much about it.

Of course they could, but you would have greatly distracted from the significance and excitement of finding one not to mention sky rocket the mintage. There's no chance the same excitement would have been there for the 19 W Quarters if you could just buy them from the mint.

The mint is aware of this. The S mint quarters from a few years ago are a prime example of how excitement is lessened when you can just buy something in large numbers, they didn't come anywhere close to the W hype.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course they could, but you would have greatly distracted from the significance and excitement of finding one not to mention sky rocket the mintage. There's no chance the same excitement would have been there for the 19 W Quarters if you could just buy them from the mint.

I'd actually be more excited about them if I could buy them in mint like sets because the condition would be on par with the others that I've purchased from the mint. As for the mintage, they could adjust it if they wanted to keep it at a certain limit. There's nothing exciting about not having a real chance at getting a complete set out of circulation while others have somehow managed to get 120 of one variation.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-W-201...AOSwtgxdzkWz
There's nothing exciting about circulated coins when you have been assembling an uncirculated set for literally over 35 years. The bottom line is that I don't need the mint to do such things to get me excited. I already enjoy collecting. Seems they are attempting to attract new collectors at the expense of their existing customers. All that said, I'm glad you're excited about it as it shows they've made some people happy.

Quote:
The mint is aware of this. The S mint quarters from a few years ago are a prime example of how excitement is lessened when you can just buy something in large numbers, they didn't come anywhere close to the W hype.

Yet another example of a failure on the mint's part. They should also be available in sets instead of having to purchase them in rolls. It would be really nice if they put them in a set with the -W's.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for the mintage, they could adjust it if they wanted to keep it at a certain limit. There's nothing exciting about not having a real chance at getting a complete set out of circulation while others have somehow managed to get 120 of one variation.

There's some luck of the draw to it but that's what it's supposed to be. Sometimes a bunch did end up in one box othertimes none, no system is perfect though.

Quote:
There's nothing exciting about circulated coins when you have been assembling an uncirculated set for literally over 35 years.

Just because it came from the bank or a cash register doesn't mean it wouldn't grade MS.

Quote:
The bottom line is that I don't need the mint to do such things to get me excited. I already enjoy collecting. Seems they are attempting to attract new collectors at the expense of their existing customers. All that said, I'm glad you're excited about it as it shows they've made some people happy.

They're trying to do something new and different and exciting which should make everyone happy whether or not they're into that product. They're already much more limited in what they can do than many other mints are and for the longest time you would have though the US was a 3rd world country if you compared the US mint to other world mints.

It's exciting and refreshing to see them at least attempt new things and things that can get collectors excited and draw new collectors into it. Simply churning out the same thing every year like they had been doing won't do it. It gets people looking at their change and exposing them to all the various coins and different designs they may not have known existed which is especially true with the PCGS contests they ran last year. These are all good things for the hobby.

There's something that is always true when it comes to moderns, if it is to easy to get more people get turned off for those products than the ones who get upset for harder to get products. The W quarters generated more buzz in one year than had been talked about quarters over the last decade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2591 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no luck of the draw to it...The banks vault manager opens a box of quarters to fill the tellers drawers and see that it contains new rolls of 2019 quarters, call his/her spouse of friend and whala posted on eBay
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's no luck of the draw to it...The banks vault manager opens a box of quarters to fill the tellers drawers and see that it contains new rolls of 2019 quarters, call his/her spouse of friend and whala posted on eBay

I really hope you're being sarcastic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
basebal21, I don't disagree with the mint's decision to put -W quarters in to circulation. I just think that they could have done so and offered mint type sets to those who want premium quality examples. I know that you're of the opinion that that would have lessened the impact of those released in to circulation, but I don't think it would have. We just disagree, no big deal.

Quote:
I really hope you're being sarcastic.

I don't think that he's being sarcastic. Based on this eBay listings, it's pretty safe to say that the vast majority of the -W quarters have been intercepted by people in the distribution networks prior to the coins entering circulation. Most of us are not in such a position, so it's pay $10+ for each quarter or search in vain for high grade circulated examples.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craftworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
basebal21, I don't disagree with the mint's decision to put -W quarters in to circulation. I just think that they could have done so and offered mint type sets to those who want premium quality examples. I know that you're of the opinion that that would have lessened the impact of those released in to circulation, but I don't think it would have.

I agree, the Mint could offer one million quarters in a mint set and 1 million in circulation. They would still have the 2 million mintage and should make both kinds of collectors satisfied. This would be heaven for me!
Edited by Craftworker
01/21/2020 09:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean they are targeting collectors in a way but they are targeting creating new collectors and interest in the hobby.

As far as "customers" I'm sure on some level they are hoping to generate excitement and new customers, but it's not targeted at old customers.

Sure they could put 1 million in mint sets and 1 million in circulation that would be 200K complete mint sets being available before it sells out and then what? They sell 200K of the quarter set, or the mint set really. So then you have a sell out mint set and disappointed customers also.

There's 327 million Americans and 2 million complete sets of Ws. If you decide to wait for it to turn up in pocket change so be it. If you decide that it's not perfect enough when you do find one so be it.

Really not their fault. I do have my issues with their method of distribution and the monkey business in the supply chain but I do feel it was a good effort on their part to get it right and no matter what they do they aren't making everyone happy and there will be exploiters no matter what.

That said. My hunt continues and I think it's a good thing although at this point I'd rather be searching something else besides quarters.

Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They could release a set in December. That gives everyone eleven months to be excited about finding them in change.

In fact, this is not that different from how I have collected the ATB series...

I get excited. I look in my change. I find one, maybe two, then in December I buy the Circulating Quarter Set.

(Of course, last year I bought the uncirculated mint set to get the W cent so I canceled my CQS subscription.)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10238 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would be nice to have these in mint sets, but no worry for me since the albums do not include them.

I thought your albums were made of blank pages, jbuck.

I've really got my work cut out for me as I never collected the Business-S strikes of the ATBs so now I've got to go back and get all those along with the 2019 W strikes and the 2020 W privy strikes... OY! Talk about not having an album that has slots for all those.
Edited by CelticKnot
01/21/2020 2:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought your albums were made of blank pages, jbuck.
Yes, but only for cents, nickels, dimes, and half dollars that go beyond what fit in the labeled albums.

My ATB Quarters are in legit labeled Dansco albums with no space for these.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05