Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here We Go Again. 2020 W Quarters Coming.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 91 / Views: 7,558Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't a fan of this when it was done last year, and probably still won't be a fan of it when it is done this year.

I don't understand how the Mint Director thinks that putting a coin with .6% of the production population (MUCH, MUCH lower % of the circulating population!) into circulation is going to encourage new collectors. It's like finding a needle in a haystack and IMHO will quickly discourage most potential new collectors and dismay long time collectors of the series.

Hype? Yes, there was hype in the established coin collecting community, but was there any in the general public? EVERY non-collector that I mentioned these quarters to had no idea that they even existed and weren't looking for them (not that they had any kind of realistic chance of finding one). Not much hype there.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...beyond what fit in the labeled albums.

How is this different?
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How is this different?
I have not committed to making a custom quarter album yet.

The S-Quarters that I have are in 2x2s for now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1043 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The introduction of W mint quarters--good/bad/indifferent--motivated me to search through a much higher number of quarter rolls than usual. Beyond finding 13 W quarters over the last few months (one yesterday), I've found silver and a few MS+++ examples of regular quarters to replace ones I had in Dansco albums. All-in-all, not a horrible experience.

One of my local coin shops reports an increase in foot traffic--people looking for W coins. Big demand. Some of those people bought some other coins/goods while in the shop. Not bad at all.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hesitate to do it but I may have to buy a box of quarters from my bank just to see if I can uncover any W or S. That's just a sizable chunk of cash to tie up, so it would need to be a hunt done over a cold, rainy weekend so I could deposit the rejects on Monday.
Pillar of the Community
United States
874 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mint had a good idea when they decided to not issue the W quarters in mint sets. It's the thrill of the hunt which drives many of us, myself included. Although I have not found any W quarters to date, I will continue to look for them. It seems as though none of the banks in my area have new rolls of quarters. I guess I need to just start searching regular rolls and get lucky. I have seen very few P and D mint 2019 quarters so far either. A little disappointing. But I hope the mint does not give in and start issuing the W quarters in sets. That would just cheapen it. It will be interesting to see how many high grade W quarters appear in future years. I think it's great and in the long term it will be good for all of us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unusual development about the 2020-W quarters:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...h-privy-mark

If I'm reading this correctly, the mint could not get approval for the privy mark until after production of the American Samoa quarters began, so 2020-W American Samoa quarters are being delayed until after the 2020-W Tallgrass Prairie (After November). The first 2020-W will be Weir Farm in April. They don't know how the West Point American Samoa's will be distributed yet.

Distribution seems to be a large issue with most people, so this will definitely be interesting to you guys!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting!
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Seems like they are running this without a plan.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16660 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly, the mint could not get approval for the privy mark until after production of the American Samoa quarters began, so 2020-W American Samoa quarters are being delayed until after the 2020-W Tallgrass Prairie

This makes me wonder, dod they strike any 2020 W American Samoa quarters WITHOUT the privy mark before the approval to add the privy mark was made? If they did, what happens to the 2020 W coins that lack the mark?
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They just put an article about this in the weekly Coin World, which I have the digital version of.

It seems like 2020-W coins without the privy mark would be extremely unlikely as they are to add the privy mark to the master die. Why would the Mint make master dies, working hubs, and then working dies without the privy if they planned on having the privy from the start? Seems like a waste of time, money, and die blanks.

Also to quote the newest article ( Coin World Weekly - February 10, 2020 - pg. 37):

Quote:
The U.S. Mint said it is developing a comprehensive plan to more widely distribute the 2020-W quarter dollars beyond what was done with 2019-W coins, although it has yet to provide details of the circulation plans

Seems like they had a plan to put the privy marks on the coins and to distribute them better then last year, then had a setback with getting approval. They delayed the first one and now have more time to figure out how to distribute the coins more evenly. Maybe the setback is a blessing in disguise? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1446 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the addition of the privy mark makes these quarters more interesting then last years with the just the W mint mark.

The only drawback to the concept of the privy mark, is that are they now going to have to think each year that event denote with the privy mark?
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully their new distribution plan includes buying them directly from the mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stupid question. What is a privy mark?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privy_mark

Quote:
In modern times, the privy mark is used as a design and marketing feature to commemorate a special event or signify that the coin is part of a set.

I think of it as an extra design element. I've never actively sought one, but they're kind neat.

The Innovation dollars have them (except the introductory coin) -- below IGWT on the obverse, per the Mint description: "The obverse also includes a privy mark of a stylized gear, representing industry and innovation."
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 91 / Views: 7,558Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05