Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here We Go Again. 2020 W Quarters Coming.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 83 / Views: 6,464Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only the W quarters were supposed to have the privy, weren't they?
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only the W quarters were supposed to have the privy, weren't they?

That's my understanding as well.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
966 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
USSID18, Last year for at least south Florida it was Dunbar Armored for those first two designs of the year that were doing federal reserve distribution. for Miami, Broward and WP.

Red and black trucks, NF String rolls.

Should be whoever gave the cheapest price to do distribution to the banks for the fed in that market though, has the capacity to do it as well as the security, and doesn't mind being audited by the Fed.

Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big-Kingdom- Good info, thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
966 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. At least in my area it should be whoever is using Dunbar will get them while guarda or brinks or Loomis won't be.

I figured that out by fishing around to random banks I didn't have accounts at with $20 at each until I came across new rolls. Turned out it was Chase bank which is my bank anyways, but I was hitting all of them I passed driving for 2 rolls each and building a box to search on the weekend to see what's out there. 5 banks, 10 rolls a day yada yada. Still found no silver quarters all last year though lol.

I just happened across two rolls of American memorial park at a chase branch at that time. A lot of it was customer wrapped but you never know what turns up which is why I sometimes do the fishing of a lot of banks in my area especially when I'm striking out at my usual spots. Any place with an armored carrier change service is possible to get them. Just easier to know where to look once you know who's doing the distribution. I wish I know how long the contracts are. I find chase is hit or miss and has different boxes meaning they were switching carriers a lot.sometimes it was the box with the inspection holes and vertical rolls, sometimes it was vertical without the holes, sometimes it was horizontal rolls in the taller box and generic machine wrappers. Likely they used 3 different carriers maybe even 4 for change orders.

Helpful or not, I dunno, but I hope the info helps.

Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes. At least in my area it should be whoever is using Dunbar will get them while guarda or brinks or Loomis won't be.

I figured that out by fishing around to random banks I didn't have accounts at with $20 at each until I came across new rolls. Turned out it was Chase bank which is my bank anyways, but I was hitting all of them I passed driving for 2 rolls each and building a box to search on the weekend to see what's out there. 5 banks, 10 rolls a day yada yada. Still found no silver quarters all last year though lol.

I just happened across two rolls of American memorial park at a chase branch at that time. A lot of it was customer wrapped but you never know what turns up which is why I sometimes do the fishing of a lot of banks in my area especially when I'm striking out at my usual spots. Any place with an armored carrier change service is possible to get them. Just easier to know where to look once you know who's doing the distribution. I wish I know how long the contracts are. I find chase is hit or miss and has different boxes meaning they were switching carriers a lot.sometimes it was the box with the inspection holes and vertical rolls, sometimes it was vertical without the holes, sometimes it was horizontal rolls in the taller box and generic machine wrappers. Likely they used 3 different carriers maybe even 4 for change orders.

Helpful or not, I dunno, but I hope the info helps.

Yes, very helpful.

I've established a relationship with several tellers at a handful of banks I frequent. I've left them my name and number if in the event they should open a box and see new quarters.

What does "Regional" bank mean to you? And how do you determine which ones are regional, you ask them?

Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you guys haven't already seen.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...g-production

Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
86068 Posts
Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oops! Sorry.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...FGZmk7MfdG_A

That's weird. I don't know what's happening. Different link, same article. Forget it!

Edited by USSID18
04/17/2020 5:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
966 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"What does "Regional" bank mean to you? And how do you determine which ones are regional, you ask them?"

Regional banks, in my opinion don't matter at all. it means their primary market is the region or metropolitan area, but it's mostly as it relates to depositors.
A national bank might take deposits nationally and be the largest of financial institutions with a lot of transnational turn over, while a regional bank might take deposits for a region of service, it's more of a mid-sized bank,
and a community or neighborhood bank would be the smallest.
these classifications are more about depositors and their financial stability, ability to make loans ect. and not so much about their ability to get new coin rolls. in the end, they get what the armored carrier brings them just like everyone else.

I've found that banks and even credit unions, if in a commercial area, burn through change and order more often new coin to be brought in by the armored carrier for their demand, while banks near residential areas tend to always get customers depositing coins, and order less change orders because the customers turn in more than their demand for it is, in some cases, sending more back with the armored carrier.

My ideal hunting banks for new current coin are near commercial districts, or restaurants/shopping areas where a lot of the customers should be the local businesses, instead of just people.
they also don't seem to act like filling a change order is such a burden because it's normal routine for them.
if I'm looking for older coin, and customer wrapped, I prefer banks near residential areas for those coin jar hoards that which can pan out some good stuff occasionally that have been just sitting around somewhere for 20 years, but usually a bit foreign coin heavy or rolls that are short coins. It is what it is.

Generally speaking though every bank will do FIFO (first in first out) with customer wrapped rolls. The rolls have foreigns or are short usually, and it's always best to dump them on the next guy asking for change to for the bank to keep them. banks that give out more change than they take in, in my opinion regardless of the size of the bank, are the best shot at getting new coin rolls, even when just getting 2-10 rolls at a time.

I also like to look at ebay if I'm looking for something specific like W quarters and sort it by "distance, nearest first". to see if any are being found near me.

in 2019 the Ws I did find, showed up on ebay close to me, and I knew they were in my area. closest 2020W to me on ebay right now is 110 miles away, all the listing are 110 miles away on there. Possible for them to turn up but unlikely, it was when they were turning up a few listings at under 25 miles from me, I was hitting pretty good.

I'd be looking for Boxes of Weir Farm, or BU boxes dated 2019, 2019 BU Boxes should still be turning up through most of this year, like 2018s did last year.

Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good strategy Big-Kingdom!

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wondering if this an error or if it is damage?
Pillar of the Community
4967 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wondering if this an error or if it is damage?

Are they W's?

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
USSID18 Yes, I'm fairly new to the forum and hope this is okay here, wasn't sure how to quote either. They are W's, all I have been finding are AS in Weir Farm rolls. Fresh from a roll. I know it's not a great pic (learning that also), but it almost looks like the design is still there in that area.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 83 / Views: 6,464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05