Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Domitian Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 582Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1987 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  06:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I'd share my very first Domitian coin....
Our expert on Domitian @orphew, with his amazing collection, was really helpful (Thanks Andrew)...

As you all know I'm not really into shiny so this nicely toned Denarius caught my eye. These early type portraits are my favourite and coupled with an interesting reverse, the tripod and dolphin being symbols of Apollo, made it a coin that really appealed to me....Paul
Domitian. 81-96 AR Denarius (3.17 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 81 AD.
Obv.: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right.
Rev.: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P, tripod surmounted by a dolphin right. RIC II 74. VF.
Learn More...
United States
23229 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  06:59 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Paul, you got the bug now.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
352 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see the attraction with this one Paul. It is indeed a super portrait.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
5213 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very appealing coin. Thanks for sharing, Paul.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1987 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all....Glad you like the coin...
It was an impulse buy just caught my eye and the price was good.
The photo doesn't really show the iridescent toning, its a real beaUty in hand.

Quote:
you got the bug now.

Will probably pick up a later style denarius, but its not at the top of my list.
Firstly I'll acquire a big Sestertius...

Thanks again Paul
Edited by Palouche
01/20/2020 08:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice catch Paul! That coin has plenty to recommend it.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1987 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Andrew.....Really appreciated the help
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5947 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin, Paul!

I can certainly see the appeal of the Flavians - beautiful coins and they mostly weren't melted down by Trajan, so they aren't as expensive as coins of the Julio-Claudians. I still havent been able to make much progress in upgrading the first round of hole fillers that I bought - they do get pricey in higher grades!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1987 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve......

I found this interesting showing the gradual decrease in the silver content..

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 582Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05